Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

swimming-eczema-teenager!

(18 Posts)
M44 Thu 25-Nov-10 08:07:49

dd has chronic eczema which is generally controlled very well. HOwever now she has hit that magic age where hormones and teenageryness kick in.

Swimming is compulsory at their school-an hour every other week. Since new waves of hormones her skin is not so well controlled, but still not horrendous. The pool seems to really aggravate her skin-it is chlorinated, however she refuses to apply diprobase ointment before swimming, shower and re cream after.....in other words she won't help herself and expects me to sign her off. I have said if she tries the creaming regime it might work and until she does I will not sign her out of her lesson. We are in a dreadful 2 week cycle of swim-skin gets worse-just about recovers-then swim etc.

Am I being too harsh- she left the house in tears and was classically slamming doors etc before she left. I do empathise, but she will not try.......

What would you all do?

M44 Thu 25-Nov-10 08:58:19

bump

EvaAnna Thu 25-Nov-10 10:06:09

My DD2 4 yo cannot go near a pool without it making her eczema worse. It is bad enough as it is without putting her in chlorine! We just keep her away on advice from the dermatologist. I imagine it must hurt a lot when it flares up immediately.

We don't have the teenager tantrums, and I am possibly the softest mother in the world, but I would sign her off. I see your point about making her try, but if its causing a lot of grief, is it worth it? Have you been swimming with her to help with cream to see how it works ?? As a teenager it must be a trauma having to do the cream stuff in front of friends? What about the school giving her some private space etc?

Sorry sounds rambling, I really do empathise as on holiday this year we had lots of severe traumas with swimming so I know what its like.

twopeople Thu 25-Nov-10 10:23:30

Message withdrawn

M44 Thu 25-Nov-10 13:16:08

I think I am upset about it as she is normally really willing to try- but today it was because it's cold and there were other reasons creeping in.

(I am a really soft mum and deep down I would just have signed her off, but school are a bit funny over these things-we had a dreadful letter home last week about attendance which I was furious about as it was discriminatory!)

I know if we went to the GP and asked for a letter from him it would be only be granted if er had tried everything.....I did explain that to her also.
Just a bit frustrated.......

M44 Fri 26-Nov-10 16:04:54

bump

PixieOnaLeaf Sat 27-Nov-10 14:59:25

Message withdrawn

foxinsocks Sat 27-Nov-10 15:07:11

Sign her off

I'm a relatively responsible adult with bad skin and I still can't always be arsed to put the cream on before swimming :-)

Thing is, it makes you all slippery - like an eel - I think it is quite noticeable and it takes a fair bit of time to wash off and then reapply.

foxinsocks Sat 27-Nov-10 15:09:27

And even with the cream, I find swimming still screws up your skin.

I can understand why it makes you frustrated but I would cut her some slack in this case

GrimmaTheNome Sat 27-Nov-10 15:27:10

I didn't know hormones were implicated in eczema - my 11yr old DD has recently started getting it after swimming, I thought it must be the water quality. I'm expecting battles to let me anoint her before she goes swimming (in evening with friend, not school at the moment fortunately.)

The diprobase ointment is pretty yukky sticky stuff to apply, quite difficult to do some areas properly yourself I'd have thought - does your DD manage this OK alone at home? She may have limited time for changing before and aft too, maybe fears trouble from the teacher if she's having to take time doing this.

M44 Sun 28-Nov-10 13:42:52

She tried it-didn't work. She is really sensible most of the time, and I could see her skin was affected. I know that if we hadn't tried, then sought medical advice we would have been sent away to try it.
I am going to pull her from swimming and hope and pray they are sympathetic. Just had an issue with the school re attendance. SHe missed a week of school because of asthma/anaphylaxis- was on high dose steroids etc for a week,so unfit for school.Got a very snotty letter...so heaven only knows what they will say about swimming.

Thank you one and all.....

foxinsocks Sun 28-Nov-10 20:23:14

How ridiculous re snotty letter. You sound v sensible as does she! The school however sound a bit nightmarish! How on earth can you avoid being unwell!

twopeople Mon 29-Nov-10 12:35:08

Message withdrawn

pointydog Mon 29-Nov-10 12:42:46

Sign her off. Contact school to discuss to prevent snottiness.

M44 Tue 30-Nov-10 17:18:08

the latest.....they are now threatening to withdraw her bus pass due to poor attendance....1 week off following hospitalisation for asthma/anaphylaxis during the weekend. Incensed....

foxinsocks Tue 30-Nov-10 21:28:01

shock

hogshead Tue 30-Nov-10 21:39:43

I have severe psoriasis and have done since I was 13 so I can really sympathise with your DD.

Tbh swimming and my skin never bothered until one day when I was swimming with some friends at a weekend when a lovely {hmm} lady approached me and told me in no uncertain terms that people like me shouldnt be allowed in public swimming pools. One comment totally shot my confidence for years - I spent most of my teenage years covering up - long sleeved tops in summer, short skirts were an absolute no no - that type of thing. Luckily grunge was `in' in those days grin

The psychological impacts on skin disorders are often very underated and undervalued but really shouldnt be underestimated. You can try to cover your skin up but it is always there for the world to see and sometimes pass judgement.

On a positive note I have now reached the ripe old age of 32 and couldnt give a flying monkey's uncle about other peoples opinions (more worried about my post pregnancy belly!!) and gladly go swimming with my DS

M44 Wed 01-Dec-10 08:19:49

SHe isn't worried about what it looks like- it is the burning sensation she gets on entry to the pool and the soreness then itching afterwards. Thank you- I agree the psychological impact is under rated- I used to run an eczema support group.... oh the stories.......

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: