Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Allergies and chicken pox

(7 Posts)
babybarrister Wed 24-Nov-10 08:54:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BalloonSlayer Wed 24-Nov-10 13:03:59

My DS1 has a lot of allergies too. Some similar to your DS's IIRC.

When my DCs got CP, the first one got it quite mildly, the second (DS1) got it badly.

I was told the second child to get it when it is going through a family always gets it a lot worse.

If your DS is the first to get it or an only child he may be lucky and not get it too badly.

However - the reason for my posting. DS1 also got covered in urticaria/hives. He was in a terrible state with both that and the CP spots.

I was told that allergies are always to proteins, and that viruses are proteins. Therefore it is possible to be allergic to the chicken pox virus, and that is what happened to DS1. Poor little fellow.

I am waiting to see what happens when DS2 gets it - whether DS1 comes down with an attack of hives with no accompanying chicken pox.

You can give piriton to help the CP itching I think. I don't know what other treatments there are.

Hope your little chap feels better soon.

BalloonSlayer Wed 24-Nov-10 13:05:10

(That doesn't make much sense - we didn't have DS2 when DD and DS1 had CP. I make it sound as if I'm making up the number of children we have in the family)

babybarrister Wed 24-Nov-10 14:24:30

BalloonSlayer Wed 24-Nov-10 16:03:27

"I am sure someone posted on here that due to the crap immune system that is always on hyper alert, that the reactions to infections etc seem to be milder ...."

- that's what I always thought. In fact I think I have posted on Mumsnet before about my irritation that kids with allergies are always depicted on TV as weak and sickly whereas, I claimed: 'usually they get fewer/shorter illnesses than other children because their immune systems are so overactive.' Lots of posters said that their DCs have lots of allergies and get everything going. So that shut ME up! smile

But DS1 doesn't get ill very often. However DD, who has no allergies and eats utter crap never gets ill at all... so maybe he is the sickly one?

babybarrister Wed 24-Nov-10 20:49:31

babybarrister Fri 26-Nov-10 14:54:19

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: