Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

hives

(11 Posts)
AlicesWonderland Tue 23-Nov-10 13:49:58

Hi all my daughter came up in hives out of the blue just over a month ago

I took to her to the docs and was told to start with that it was a viral rash, but after the weekend as it had just gotten worse and the poor kid was itching herself raw I took her back and was told it was urticaria which in short is an allergy to something

He said it was presenting more like it was something she'd ingested but said we'd probably never know what it was and told me to gove her three doses of piriton (5ml) a day for two weeks and then reduce it to two a day for a week and basically just wean her off it

My problem is this, I did the two week thing and the hives disappeared, as soon as I cut it down to two doses a day they come straight back up sad

I'm uncertain if to take her back to the docs or not as he said the piriton was only to stop the itching and that the hives would run their course and disappear of their own accord! hmm

it must have been 6 weeks now and they are still going strong and now they are starting to pop up on her face

Please does anyone have any experience of this, I just can't think what she could be allergic to or what has started it off as she had nothing new that weekend confused

AlicesWonderland Tue 23-Nov-10 14:22:11

grin

Whelk Tue 23-Nov-10 20:24:38

How old is your dd Alice?
Have you done anything different, for example new foods/detergents?

Does she have any known allergies?

mumbar Tue 23-Nov-10 20:34:39

My DS had/has this too. He got Hives on his face and from his booster and googles at swimming cause a rash too. I was unsure if it was Hives - although originally this was diagnosed. DS was given ceterizine eventually for a month when after taking chlorphenamine (puriton) it didn't have a long-term effect.

He mainly gets it in the summer and therefore its thought to be pollen related. He is also allergic to ketchup. (thro elimination) The GP suggetsed using oilatum, doublebase and non-bio and now he has been off the AH for nearly 2 months and been OK. He has has twice where its started to go red and dry and I've iven chlorophenamine and its not come to anything.

DS does welt and hive with pressure bt they seem to clear quite quick untreated.

I would perhaps suggest a soap free, non-bio trial and see if this helps.

Good luck.

DrSeuss Tue 23-Nov-10 21:15:48

Sounds like giant urticaria, which looks appalling but is harmless. DS had it once and we rushed him to the doctor's with lumps as big as 10p pieces that stuck out about 1cm. It's caused by a viral infection and we cured it with a week or so of cetirizine liquid.

sharbie Tue 23-Nov-10 21:19:52

there is another thread on here about this - i had them for nine months

sharbie Tue 23-Nov-10 21:20:55

under childrens' health

AlicesWonderland Wed 24-Nov-10 20:42:59

Hi thanks for the replies dd is 5

nope we've not had anything new, and I hadn't changed any of the soaps or detergents that we use

tbh it has got better but it's still there

Thanks Sharbie I'll look for that thread smile

DrSeuss it sounds like the same thing where do I get the cetirizine liquid from and what is it?

DrSeuss Wed 24-Nov-10 21:19:15

Just liquid anti histamine, from any chemist. It's the same stuff that is sold as Zirtek in tablet form for adults. It was marked as for over 2s when we used it(DS was 2.5) but I think the new regs upped the age to 6. Can't honestly believe that a few months would make that much difference but you'd better ask the pharmacist. Better than piriton as it doesn't knock them out. My MIL had it as a kid as a regular reaction to any virus and said it didn't hurt too much although it looked awful.
To be honest, I'm only guessing and relating what my experience was. I have no medical qualifications and you really would be better asking a doctor. Good luck!

mumbar Thu 25-Nov-10 19:41:14

I've looked at the ceterizine tablets DS has and thats for over 6's but I know my neighbour has the liuid form for her DD who is 5. Its a lower dose per 100mg in liquid form.

AlicesWonderland Thu 25-Nov-10 19:45:19

thanks I'm off into town tomorrow so I'll ask at the pharmacy, it's worth a shot otherwise I'll see what it's like after xmas and we'll go back to the docs

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: