Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Am I mad for doubting nut allergy diagnosis?????

(7 Posts)
EvaAnna Mon 22-Nov-10 14:00:41

My DD2 4yo has recently been diagnosed with a severe nut allergy via a RAST test. She was also diagnosed with a severe allergy to Sesame Seed and Chick peas. This was after a bad reaction to eating a tiny amount of humous (sesame seed and chick pea). We have epipens and a care plan at school etc...

She also has severe ezcema which is constantly infected and is under the care of a dermatologist. She is showing signs of asthma and is also allergic to dogs (not tested, but swells up if she touches one!).

I just can't get my head around the nut thing???? I know in the past she has had nuts - crunchy nut cornflakes, peanut butter, ferror rocher to name a few. I can't understand it??? Now I feel like I am constantly over reacting with the nut allergy thing. Is this normal or am I being unreasonable? Has anyone felt the same or have any advice for me? Am I in denial, or should I have her retested?

I have another question, but I've posted this under a new thread!!

Thanks to anyone who can help me

misdee Mon 22-Nov-10 14:05:37

the RAST test uses a nut mix (I and II iirc), so its possible your dd reacted to one of the nuts in the mixes iyswim.

dd4 came up as + on the RAST test but negative on the skin prick test.

could you request a series of skin prick tests to see which ones she is reacting to and then a food challenge for any which come up negative?

although dd4 results are conflicting wenhave been advised to avoid all nuts for now, until she is at an age when we can successfully food challlnege her.

thisisyesterday Mon 22-Nov-10 14:06:14

when i was researching intolerances for ds2 I did come across a few things saying RAST tests weren't always very reliable

I would ring the allergy person and ask them about it again. point out that she has eaten nuts before with no obvious effects and see what they say?

i do know it's possible for a reaction to increase with each exposure tho, so i suppose it's theoretically possible that she could have had nuts in the past but now be showing a big reaction to them?

EvaAnna Mon 22-Nov-10 14:11:49

Thanks misdee and thisisyesterday for your advice. I think I will call the allergy clinic again. They didn't offer skin prick tests, but the allergy consultant did advice re the nut mix thing and it may be just one of these and best to avoid all nuts due to cross contamination etc.

DH wouldn't let her have any frosties at the weekend as they said may contain traces of peanut and I thought 'are we just going too far?!?' - thats what sparked me off!!confused

babybarrister Mon 22-Nov-10 16:26:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nottirednow Mon 22-Nov-10 17:47:45

Message withdrawn

BalloonSlayer Mon 22-Nov-10 18:01:19

My Nephew had a bad reaction to an unknown nut. It was in a bowl of mixed nuts and my sister wondered whether it could have been a macadamia nut as he was at the age that kids always take "the big one" given the chance.

When she took him for allergy tests he was allergic to macadamia nuts, another nut, forget which, and peanuts. He was given an epipen etc.

My sister was a bit hmm about the peanuts as he had had crunchy nut cornflakes with no reaction. But obviously, allergies can develop at any time. About a year later she found that his nursery were regularly giving him peanut butter sandwiches, shock which he was enjoying and having no reaction to at all. (They do not live in the UK, I'd have gone berserk if this had happened to my supposedly allergic to nuts DS1)

He has had bad reactions to other nuts since, when they went for a curry for example (my sister is not exactly, 'owyousay? meticulous about checking his food) but still shows as allergic to peanuts whenever he is tested. My sister has asked the allergist about this but just got a shrug.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now