Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

No luck with adapting cake recipes for no egg, wheat (& dairy) :-(

(10 Posts)
hobnob57 Mon 15-Nov-10 16:46:22

I'm sorry if this has been done to death before, but I'm trying to get a birthday cake organised for dd2.

I've tried this chocolate one, substituting with dove's farm flour and a bit of xantham gum. It was ok, a bit firm, but sent dd2's nappies mad.

I then tried this carrot cake with egg replacer, dove's farm flour and homemade baking powder and it was stodgy and soggy in the middle no matter how long I cooked it for.

I'm thinking of trying the carrot cake again with half the oil, but am short of time.

Anyone got a foolproof recipe?

bloomingnora Mon 15-Nov-10 17:00:38

This works with Doves farm flour. It's very chocolatey and yummy but best on the day you cook it - very dense. I've never made the glaze but you could do a butter icing with vegan marg? apologies if there's stuff in there your DD can't have.

bloomingnora Mon 15-Nov-10 17:01:16

erm. i will now do the link....in a min because dd is waffling at me!

bloomingnora Mon 15-Nov-10 17:01:47

kathrynelliott.com.au/blog/2007/09/13/vegan-chocol ate-beetroot-cake-with-spiced-beetroot-glaze

hobnob57 Mon 15-Nov-10 17:06:22

mmm, that looks yummy, but she can't do soy either sad Thanks for trying!

bloomingnora Mon 15-Nov-10 17:10:12

How about a pile of muffins? Have a recipe that I can find for you if you want. Also have choc chip cookies that are LUSH and Dan Lepard's choc banana fudge cookies adapt well.

bloomingnora Mon 15-Nov-10 17:14:44

Sorry, I've become obsessed with your DD having yummy party food blush

girlsyearapart Mon 15-Nov-10 17:23:24

I got a recipe from the allrecipes site which used veg oil cocoa powder and vanilla extract then I make butter icing with vitalite and pink food colouring and cover with sprinkles. Always goes down well. Would type it up but am stuck in hospital with dd3. It's the one with 5 tbsp veg oil.

DrSeuss Mon 15-Nov-10 17:51:53

Rose Elliot has a really good one in her book Complete Vegetarian and you can replace some flour to make it a chocolate cake. Or how about a fridge cake (broken biscuits, dried fruit, chocolate, there'll be any number of recipes online).

hobnob57 Wed 17-Nov-10 20:43:47

Thanks for your suggestions. It's been a mental week, but I'll have a try at some on Friday. Birthday is Sunday so fingers crossed something works!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now