Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

will i be able to get an no eggs, no milk, no nuts basic cake in tesco

(16 Posts)
misdee Fri 12-Nov-10 10:02:22

cos its dd4 birthday tomorrow and i havent baked one this year blush

she NEEDS to have a birthday cake on her birthday. Otherwise she will be getting jelly with candles on sad

Blatherskite Fri 12-Nov-10 10:13:12

You might be able to get Free From Cherry Bakewells - they do them in our mega Tesco - and stick a candle in?

misdee Fri 12-Nov-10 10:34:19

thank you

am hoping for just a little spongey thing really. as other dd's wont eat cherry bakewells. mind you dd4 will probably wonder what a cake is and just poke it and smash it on the table.

simpson Fri 12-Nov-10 10:39:24

I think you might struggle sadly sad

My DD has the tescos own angel layer cake (and she has also had their basics small sponge cake too) which is fine for her but not you as it has egg in...

However I do live near quite a small tescos so you might have more luck at a bigger one...

What about a donut which a candle on???

SylvanianFamily Fri 12-Nov-10 10:39:33

Honestly, I think unless you know for definite that they have one, you'll probably spend far more time shopping for it than it would take to make.

And jelly with candles on actually sounds quite fab. My last cake featured jelly heavily (it was the 'sea' around the 'pirate boat'), and all the kids asked for extra jelly on their portion.

Alternatively, how about an ice cream cake? You could put some fruit filling in the middle, and go as mad with decorations on the top as you like - but basically use a cheapy vanilla block as a base.

Blatherskite Fri 12-Nov-10 10:41:20

How about a plate of free from biscuits with a candle in the middle?

Get a dinner candle, melt the bottom and stick it to the plate then pile the biscuits around it. You can get a couple of different types of Free From biscuits from Tesco

simpson Fri 12-Nov-10 10:42:18

They also do a chocolate marble cake (not in free from stuff) its with the normal cakes iyswim that your DD might be able to have (can't remember if its got egg in, sorry)

DD can also have Mr Kiplings jam tarts but can't remember if they are egg free either blush

SylvanianFamily Fri 12-Nov-10 10:44:24

Flapjack + decorations?

My tesco definitely sell big tray-bake flapjacks.

Blatherskite Fri 12-Nov-10 10:48:39

I had a look online. ALL the cakes have egg in them sad Even the Cherry bakewells that I thought were OK. It's my brother that's intolerant so I don't have to check day-to-day sorry.

There are choc chip cookies, jammy dodgers and other biscuits that are safe though - and Chocolate buttons

thisisyesterday Fri 12-Nov-10 10:50:35

no, afaik you cannot get any cake that is egg and dairy free in any of the supermarkets

do you want my super quick and easy recipe???

thisisyesterday Fri 12-Nov-10 10:53:50

i will post it anyway just in case you do:

6oz sugar
4oz margarine
8fl oz water
8oz self raising flour
few drops vanilla extract

place the sugar, marg and water in a pan and warm until all melted. stir in the vanilla

allow to cool (do this, it will rise better when it cooks)

mix in flour.

pour into tin and bake at 180 for 3o mins

it isn't the best vegan sponge, but it isn't that bad. if you make double and do 2 round cakes you can layer them with some vegan buttercream or ganache or jam

it tastes nicer IMO as a chocolate cake. just sub 1oz flour for 1oz cocoa powder

Blatherskite Fri 12-Nov-10 11:47:47

Does egg replacer work in cakes? You can get that in the "Nutri Center" attached to our Tesco

misdee Fri 12-Nov-10 14:47:05

shopping was a complete fiasco. took almost an hour to double up my clubcard vouchers to get baby boy clothes. once i had done that, i went on a cake hunt.

no-one knew where the free from stuff was kept, and was sent all over the store. finally found it by myself, and as i suspected, i couldnt get a cake

i will try the simple recipie posted below by thisisyesterday tonight, and if that doesnt work then will resort to jelly and dairyfree swedish glace for birthday tea.

SylvanianFamily Sun 14-Nov-10 18:44:55

Poor you.

Shopping is always so. Uch more fun in anticipation than on reality, isn't it?

CokeFan Sun 14-Nov-10 19:01:30

PILs found Mrs Crimbles cakes in Sainsbury's. Our Tesco doesn't do them but some larger ones do.

The website says Gluten and Wheat free but (check the ingredients) we were ok with the dutch apple and the stem ginger cakes (egg and dairy free). They're actually very nice.

misdee Sun 14-Nov-10 19:14:53

thank you cokefan. o na whim i popped into holland and barrett yesterday to look for dairy-free choc buttons, and spotted the mrs crimbles apple cake. it is egg, milk and nut free, so dd4 DID actually get a cake yesterday. and today, and probably for the rest of the week.

i tried some and its very nice, but it gave me heartburn (symtoms of pregnancy unfortunaly), so dd4 gets to eat most of it herself.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: