Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dairy free chocolate coins for Christmas

(21 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 11-Nov-10 16:34:20

Does any high street shop sell these does anyone know?

I can find some online, but wondered if they were more mainstream than that.

Thanks!

thisisyesterday Thu 11-Nov-10 16:38:03

i noticed sainsburys had dairy-free chocolate calendars in, so might be worth trying there?

waitrose often have a good selection too

but i haven't actually seen any in person yet!

ginodacampoismydh Thu 11-Nov-10 16:38:10

i have got some from holland and barret in the past

girlsyearapart Thu 11-Nov-10 16:43:31

Sainsburys has had Easter stuff before so prob will have it there. Didn't see the chocolate calendars and have been looking..

MillyMollyMardy Thu 11-Nov-10 16:48:46

I've been looking too and haven't found any yet. I haven't even found plain chocolate ones as my ds is ok with potential traces of mp.

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 11-Nov-10 17:27:45

Thank you, I have bought dairy free chocolate buttons in sainsburys before. I will try holland and barratt tomorrow, i didnt think of them, and let you know! It's for children in my school, they all get a Christmas card from all staff with a gold foil chocolate coin and I'd so like to find equivalent d-f ones! There are some online, £4.95 for 20, so expensive but I'd expect that.

MMM - last year I bought DH dark choc coins, I shall have to think where, but it would have been mainstream.

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 11-Nov-10 17:28:58

The dark choc ones were in red foil. Iremember that!!

MillyMollyMardy Thu 11-Nov-10 17:38:09

I'll look for red foil then. I've been looking everywhere with no luck (too tight to pay online prices) but I have bought dark chocolate buttons as a fall back.

thisisyesterday Thu 11-Nov-10 17:47:18

i think thorntons may have had dark choc ones last year

do you knoiw, i am not sure why dairy free stuff is so expensive. it's usually made of utter shit!

don't get me wrong, i still get it on occassion for ds2, but i really resent it lol

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 11-Nov-10 18:43:56

Actually I think the dark choc ones did come from thorntons. They had White ( bleugh) chocolate ones too in silver foil, but that is no help to this thread!

so if you were allergic to dairy, could you have dark ( ie non milk chocolate) chocolate coins?

MillyMollyMardy Thu 11-Nov-10 19:37:45

It depends if you are intolerant or allergic. The one's marked dairy free are prepared in a dairy free enviroment, dark chocolate as far as I'm aware may be "contaminated" with traces of milk products. My ds is intolerant and can cope with small amounts of dairy. Milk chocolate makes him vomit but he likes dark chocolate which is why I'd love to find some dark chocolate coins. None in Thorntons when I looked but I haven't looked in the last 10 days.

thisisyesterday Thu 11-Nov-10 19:45:15

depends on the chocolate!

it should say on the label if it has been produced on a line with milk or in the same factory.
so if the child is severely allergic then best to avoid unless it states unequivocally that it hasn't been near any milk at all!

a lot of dark chocolate does still have milk added.
but thorntons doesn't afaik

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 12-Nov-10 06:03:30

Thanks, better to be safe for sure. This is not an area that I've had to worry about with my own DC so I'm a right novice. I just want all these children to all have a chocolate coin in gold paper, some of which are dairy free. I think one of the big supermarkets is missing a trick here!

milla2 Sun 14-Nov-10 12:20:45

Thorntons did do plain chocolate coins in red foil in bags, ideal for hanging on the tree etc - I found them Christmas 2007 and 2008 but when I enquired last christmas they said they did not sell them anymore as they were not popular!

Given up searching - last year I bought some metal christmas shapes from Lakeland and make my own, but don't think there is a coin shape unfortunately. You can buy coloured foil for wrapping chocs from The Home Chocolate Factory and lots of different christmas shaped moulds - except a coin one!!

good luck in your search

MillyMollyMardy Wed 17-Nov-10 15:25:58

I have officially given up, I've looked everywhere inclusing Sainsbury's, M+S, Waitrose, Morrison's, John Lewis, Montezuma's, Hotel Chocolat, the assumption by retailers is obviously all children like milk chocolate only. So online it is.

misdee Wed 17-Nov-10 15:27:29

am going to head over to big sainsburys at some point next week, buy bars of their dairy free nut free choc, some choc molds and some foil. make my own treats for dd4 advent calender.

trixymalixy Wed 17-Nov-10 21:41:39

Every year someone starts a thread like this, and every year we are all disappointed. i bought some one year from dietary needs direct which were £5 plus postage for a ridiculously small bag.

I'm going to have a go at making my own this year as well.

wonkytoe Thu 25-Nov-10 10:41:07

Thorntons did them two years ago in red foil, but they are not doing them this year unfortunately. Wish they would do them again x

cherb Mon 13-Dec-10 19:39:23

You could try Hotel Chocolat. They don't do dark chocolate coins but do dark chocolate reindeer shapes. Better than nothing I suppose smile

SmokinHowardDonald Mon 13-Dec-10 19:41:39

Nope, no one seems to have them. The best I was told was to buy a coin making machine from Argos and a load of dairy free chocolate drops and make my own!!

Sainsburys and Asda have dairy free chocolate lollies though (lightning mcqueen and toy story etc on) pack of four for about £1.50 - I have got these instead of coins this year.

SmokinHowardDonald Mon 13-Dec-10 19:43:21

chocolate coin maker

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: