Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Contracted drug allergy after c section - can anyone help?

(7 Posts)
tek78 Sun 22-Aug-10 19:04:52

It seems as though I've contracted some kind of allergy (or so the doc says) to drugs. I was never allergic to them before but now all of a sudden as soon as I had my c section I got a horrible itchy skin rash which started at on my legs then slowly made it's way around my body. I'm now covered and have to use steorids. It's been five weeks since I've given birth.

Has anyone else had this? Any advice? I'm going insane with the itching so would really appreciate some support/help.

Thanks

Casserole Sun 22-Aug-10 19:47:29

Do they have any idea what drug caused it?

Have you been tested for any skin infections? It would strike me that you might have picked up a bug in hospital. I'd have thought an allergic reaction would have subsided by now...

babybarrister Sun 22-Aug-10 22:06:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Idrinkthereforeiam Sun 22-Aug-10 22:41:30

I found out at my section I was allergic to morphine but it abated in a few days, do the steroids help??

misspollysdolly Sun 22-Aug-10 23:55:21

I had awful eczema behind my knees after my c-section - but only for about 3 weeks as I healed. I also had a really nasty reaction to the heavy duty elastoplast-y stuff they used on my tummy to holding the dressing/stitches in place etc. All local to the affected/stuck areas. Not sure if the 'back of knees' eczema was related to the skin reaction on my tummy, though my body definitely seemed to be having a bit of a wobble. In all other ways, I felt fine and this problem has never recurred, even though I have atopic tendencies (asthma - which is particularly bad). Hope it resolves soon or that you can get to the bottom of what has caused the problem. MPDbiscuit

tek78 Mon 23-Aug-10 12:07:26

I would have thought it should subside by now but it doesn't seem to have yet, It driving me mad. I just want to enjoy my baby without scratching myself to death. Steroids help but apparently they don't cure...

tek78 Thu 13-Jan-11 21:52:41

Ok strange but true - the rash is back - 6 months postpartum! I'd say it's hormone related but my dermatologist won't listen to me. Anybody experienced this kind of rash?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: