Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Are these ingredients gluten free?

(11 Posts)
Laura032004 Sat 20-Aug-05 06:42:44

We're on holiday, and fast running out of what I thought were massive supplies, so I'm looking for local alternatives.

DS usually has the Kallo Crispies (or whatever the rice crispy type things are called), but the local alternative contains:

Rice, sugar, malt, salt, niacin, iron FE, vitamin B6, riboflavin B1, Thiamin B2, Folic acid, vitamin B12.

I think they're OK, but I'm not 100% sure, so if anybody knows for definite, that would be great!

mumtosomeone Sat 20-Aug-05 07:08:34

are u avoidig gluten?
well thats wheat based so cant see it there

XmariaX Sat 20-Aug-05 12:03:24

hiya laura my dd1 is on a gluten free diet (Coeliac Disease) but to me that looks ok was wondering about the malt but looked in my daughters g-f food and drink directory and it said about malt extract and all it said about that was for some it can be included in the diet but some others may benefit from leaving it out a g-f diet

hope that helps

Laura032004 Sat 20-Aug-05 13:32:37

Thanks XmariaX. Where did you get the food and drink directory? Is that the one from the coeliac society? I might have to get a copy.

mumtosomeone - wheat is the obvious thing that contains gluten, but lots of other things have gluten that are less obvious, so I try to check as my ds reacts to even the smallest amount of gluten.

Thanks for your replies

mumtosomeone Sat 20-Aug-05 18:28:21

might help

XmariaX Sun 21-Aug-05 00:18:14

i got it from the coeliac society? when was your son diagnosed? my dd1 has been on a g-f diet for a good few years now so if u need any help just let me know and ill do my best

bobbybob Sun 21-Aug-05 03:01:06

malt is not always gluten free. Where are you?

Laura032004 Sun 21-Aug-05 10:36:43

DS isn't yet diagnosed - that's my next task . We had to see a paed about this and another issue, and his only response was to keep him gluten free for a year or two, and then reintroduce.

However, he reacts to even the slightest amount of gluten, so I'm going to push for some testing - especially as I hear that it can take ages to get anywhere.

Bobbybob - we're currently in Cyprus.

It wasn't really an issue in the end. DS turned his nose up at them completely, which surprised me. Just hope his Free from porridge lasts another couple of weeks, or I'll be attempting to make my own (or he'll be having lots of eggs and toast!)

Thanks

XmariaX Sun 21-Aug-05 16:19:18

yeah i would push for testing my dd1 had a biopsy and THEN was told to go on a g-f diet when we got the results and b4 that we got told to keep her on a normal diet so they could get the proper results

how old is your son?

Laura032004 Sun 21-Aug-05 20:05:07

He's just turned 16 months. He's been on a g-f diet since about 9 months (was exclusively bf until nearly 7 months).

We're also avoiding cows milk, but this started as completely dairy free, and is slowly getting better, so I think that was just the initial reaction to the gluten in his diet (fingers crossed!).

XmariaX Sun 21-Aug-05 22:46:42

i hope things work out for u and your son

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now