Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

what can i do now?

(7 Posts)
spod Fri 19-Aug-05 16:35:03

Message deleted

hyphenlover Fri 19-Aug-05 16:38:20

tbh i would just stick to the egg, gluten and potato free diet you already have her on.
My aunt was fobbed off for ages with my cousin and eventually had tests done privately. They confirmed what she already knew and she carried on with the restricted diet.

spod Fri 19-Aug-05 21:09:00

Message deleted

bettythebuilder Fri 19-Aug-05 21:23:05

A few years ago I was diagnosed with IBS and it seemed that once the diagnosis was made, that was the end of the story. A few months later I went back to my GP having done exclusion diets with no positive results, and still suffering symptoms. She referred me to hospital to have various tests. The first one (hydrogen breath test) revealed a lactose intolerance. I also had a test to check my bile duct (whatever that is!) and further blood tests were mentioned, but by then the problem was solved. If I hadn't made a bit of a fuss I don't think anything would have happened, but once referred, things happened pretty quickly.Make a fuss! If your doctors surgery has more than one GP it might be worth seeing another doctor to explain all the problems and see if they can refer dd for tests.

spod Fri 19-Aug-05 22:04:19

Message deleted

bettythebuilder Fri 19-Aug-05 22:39:27

I feel so sorry for you. It must be so difficult for dd and for you trying to keep her on a restricted diet.The worst problems are eating out or at other peoples houses, and of course spending hours in the supermarket reading lists of ingredients!

tatt Sat 20-Aug-05 06:14:12

what symptoms does she have, spod, what tests were carried out and is there is any family history of coeliac disease? Was the doctor an allergy consultant or someone with an interest?

It is difficult to get tests and there are very long waiting lists so they tend only to refer if the child is at serious risk.

Intolerance testing isn't anything you can't do yourself although I doubt you'll get a gp to prescribe gluten free foods unless you've had a formal diagnosis. Have you considered asking to see a dietician?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: