Talk

Advanced search

Help with DD age 16

(6 Posts)
Lotty32 Sat 02-May-20 22:41:04

I have let her down repeatedly due to alcohol so she no longer trusts me. She gave me a lovely card as I am 50 days sober today. But tonight she said I can't do anything right ever! Is this cos of my past actions or teenager behaviour? And how long if ever will it take to have a "normal" relationship? Would love any help!

OP’s posts: |
Besom Sat 02-May-20 22:48:16

Good work staying sober! I'm sorry I don't have much sdvice but just wanted to ssy that. I think it is lovely that she made you a card.

Lotty32 Sat 02-May-20 22:55:39

Many thx

OP’s posts: |
Besom Sun 03-May-20 07:15:09

Maybe if you post in relationships or parenting you might get more response?

BunniesBunniesBunnies Thu 07-May-20 09:00:01

Wow! Well done you!!! Do list in relationships, you’ll get more replies!

Bakedbrie Sat 09-May-20 05:01:03

@Lotty32 - whilst there are 3 people in your relationship with your DD - you, her and Booze, then the relationship will always be on very, very thin ice. You cannot undo what’s happened in the past, that damage is done, but time and positive new experience does slowly slowly heal. Trust is hard won and quickly broken. I think you need to give this hard thought as you move into sustained sobriety. Your daughter is on the cusp of adulthood - very soon, she will have mobility, independence and choices. If you break trust, her choice may well be to go NC with you. Love is not always unconditional and alcohol has the power to push even the deepest love between parent and child to the very limits.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in