Talk

Advanced search

Sleeping trouble

(5 Posts)
notanotherbiscuit Mon 28-Oct-19 19:23:56

Since cutting back hugely on my drinking (I've gone from daily drinking lots of wine wine to completely abstaining in the week and only drinking on occasional weekends), i do feel better, but I just can't seem to get enough sleep anymore. Even if I go to bed early I wake up ridiculously early.
I used to be an 8 hour girl and now I really struggle and then I'm tired in the day.

I've also noticed my skin is terrible! Quite a few breakouts and tired looking. Never had this when I was drinking.
I'm trying to lose weight too so cutting my calories back to half what I used to. I'm also eating much healthier too so I am really confused as to what is going on.
I'm supposed to be sleeping and looking better..!! confused
Has anyone else experienced this at all?

OP’s posts: |
Timmytoo Mon 28-Oct-19 19:27:36

It sounds like your body is detoxing. Once your skin clears up, your energy will come back tenfold and the weight will drop off. Drink lots of water in the meantime and just ride it out.

notanotherbiscuit Mon 28-Oct-19 19:31:22

Thanks Timmytoo, I did wonder that- guess it's also a sign of how much rubbish I was putting into my body if it's reacting like this!

OneHanded Mon 28-Oct-19 19:33:52

Are you comfortable to go to your GP and explain this OP? I’m sorry I don’t have much advice, but definitely google sleep hygiene and instill best practice to see if that helps.

Also huge well done! I’m still struggling to give up alcohol as it’s the only way I sleep, any advice likewise would be hugely gratefully received; it’s definitely a vicious cycle but one we can crack!

notanotherbiscuit Mon 28-Oct-19 20:15:47

Thanks OneHanded, that's really helpful I've just googled sleep hygiene and will have a good read! If it doesn't get better I will probably go to the doctor and about it.

It's been a really slow build up for me with regards to my drinking. I knew it was becoming a problem and I gave up loads of times and went back to it again. It became my emotional crutch and I hated being so beholden to it. Not having wine in the fridge was just the worst thing ever.
What I find helped change my mindset was firstly my last horrific hangover (the worst ever) and also reading loads of books and articles on the subject - the big turning point book being Catherine Grey's 'unexpected joy of being sober' (amazing) also recently 'the sober diaries' by Clare Pooley. Also Annie Grace on YouTube. And loads of other blogs and podcasts etc over a number of years.
I'm also trying to learn to like myself a bit more generally and look after myself better.

The other thing that I found really helps me personally especially in the beginning was drinking loads of Becks Blue as I still felt I was having a treat at the end of the day.

The only thing is I still do drink occasionally as right now I can't imagine giving up completely. I personally couldn't get on with the day counting thing as it made me a bit obsessive about it. Maybe one day I will but currently my rule is that I will only drink on special occasions but I rarely go out anyway these days so these are few and far between.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in