Talk

Advanced search

Alcohol displays in the supermarket

(2 Posts)
Maurice169 Mon 10-Jun-19 08:48:55

Is it just me?
I’ve been drinking regularly for many years. I stopped with each of my children, but soon started up again. I’m about to turn 50 and I really want to stop drinking altogether as simply cutting down isn’t working. A close family friend has recently died from cancer of the osophagus from drinking too much, he was 54.
I drink a bottle of Pinot Grigio a night, having an occasional week off.
The real problem I’m finding with trying to quit is, every time I’m in the supermarket the various displays of wine over come me. I try hard to ignore it, even when I walk the past the alcohol section I hold my hand over my eye in blinker fashion.
But what I’ve also noticed is now they have displays of ‘today’s offers’ at the end of each food isle. Or even ‘wines recommend ‘ actually in the centre of food isles. I just can’t seem to avoid it, and end up giving in to temptation?!
Does anyone else have this problem, or is it just me?confused

OP’s posts: |
littlewhitething Mon 10-Jun-19 08:55:55

I was forced to give up drinking for a year. I previously actually drank about 4 bottles of wine a week and enjoyed every drop. But now it's so much easier not to drink alcohol because there are so many amazing alternatives available (which wasn't the case when I was prohibited in France!). Just tell yourself that you're only not drinking today and after a while it becomes second nature, or did with me. And yes, when the ban was lifted I went back to wine, now 3d bottles a week between 2 people. You don't day I'd you are on your own?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in