Talk

Advanced search

Sobriety literature for wine addicts that don't binge

(4 Posts)
greeneggblueegg Thu 09-Aug-18 12:39:57

Have been AF for a month and am hovering up every sobriety book/blog I can find.

Whilst I have found them useful, esp This Naked Mind and Dairy of a Sober Mummy, they all reference experiences of binge drinking and wild, dangerous behaviour.
My situation is much more low key and boring. Wine o'clock arrives most evenings (afternoons at weekend) about 5.30 and I'll have 2-3 large glasses. Been the same for at least 20 years.

I don't drink more than that, don't get off my face and don't do stupid things. Boring but just as corrosive as binge drinking.

Does anyone have any recommendations on support for this type of drinker? Middle aged SAHM who uses wine as a habit?
I did join the Club Soda FB group but couldn't relate to all the stories of binge drinking, blackouts and police cells!

greeneggblueegg Thu 09-Aug-18 17:43:24

Hopeful bump

greeneggblueegg Sat 11-Aug-18 16:36:11

Anglaise1 Sat 11-Aug-18 21:27:23

I used to drink like you but never as early as 5.30
I decided aged 51 to stop because it was affecting my sleep and once you are over fifty if you drink excessively (and you are) you start looking like a drinker and I didn't want that. I didn't find club soda just for complete binders and the Mindful drinking group is good. I liked William Porter's Alcohol Explained book best.
I never went AF just decided to stop drinking in the week and one bottle of wine max Fri - Sun. You need to break the habit, find something else to do at your trigger time. I am sporty so just did more sport. Keep busy, find an alternative drink. If you can't stop drinking for a few nights consecutively you might find you do have a problem and need to go AF for a while.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: