Talk

Advanced search

Rehab facilities - recommendations?

(18 Posts)
HopeClearwater Tue 13-Feb-18 18:08:17

Does anyone recommend any particular rehabs for alcoholics? A friend of mine is looking at ARC Portsmouth. I’ve never heard of this one. All replies appreciated

Karcheer Tue 27-Feb-18 21:02:54

I would see if they "teach" the 12 step programme, not all do. This is important for when they come out, as they'll need AA for ongoing support.

Galerina Tue 27-Feb-18 21:09:08

Mount Carmel, London SW16

HopeClearwater Thu 01-Mar-18 18:44:06

Ok, thank you both.

fia101 Thu 01-Mar-18 18:47:18

Bosence Farm Cornwall, Promises, Clouds

Mrsfloss Thu 01-Mar-18 18:49:25

12 step one worked for me. Acorn in north west amazing.

I can’t recommend 12 step enough

SockMobster Fri 02-Mar-18 10:04:18

Sorry to interrupt the thread - can you do the 12 step program without going to an inpatient program?

lovemylover Fri 02-Mar-18 10:38:20

My son went to rehab,it didnt do any good at all, he hated the 12 step programme, and he said it was more like a boot camp, he isnt rekigous at akk, and the person in charge he said rammed God down their throats all the time
I didnt like the sound of it either, the person in charge was boasting it seemed how he killed his wife, and sounded a horrible man
I had to fill in a form saying what he was like at home,i filled it in truthfully, as my son never got nasty or caused any problems at home, he was told i must be lying, as no one on alcohol was never nasty or causing trouble,
I think the problem was that drug addicts and alcoholics were treated all the same
My son is an alcoholic, never taken drugs, although still drinking but less
Also this man said addicts were always thieves
This was in Runcorn,

Karcheer Sat 03-Mar-18 16:04:50

The 12 step program is what is used in AA and NA. Having a Rehab that follows this gives them a good structure to continue with when they get back into the "real" world.

A Higher Power is referred to within the 12 step program, this can be god for some people but doesn't have to be, it is a spiritual way of life however.

Mrsfloss Sun 04-Mar-18 20:49:18

@lovemylover
Sounds bad. How is your son?

lovemylover Tue 06-Mar-18 23:56:35

As soon as he came home he went and bought a bottle of wine,he hated every minute in there,
I felt very proud of him for going in, but very disappointed when he came out though,
He is still drinking,but not as much
I dont see why they have to push religion down their throats though, he does go to another meeting, cant remember what its called which he enjoys

StickStickStickStick Wed 07-Mar-18 00:06:32

There will be local drugs and alcohol service you can refer yourself too (they often have funny names) but they will be in a good position to advise on suitability and a good match. Also perhaps to do some groundwork before going in.

Mrsfloss Wed 07-Mar-18 08:31:34

Does he want to stop?

lovemylover Thu 08-Mar-18 11:39:44

I dont think he wants to stop, just cut down, but its not easy, he needs to stop, he is a twin and the other one is almost as bad, their father, who i am divorced from is a drinker, i am not,
My son didnt drink excessivley until he was stabbed, by a stranger, no fights or anything, his girlfriend at the time had a jealous ex,he broke into her house while my son was there.asleep, he stabbed him in his head and slashed his leg open, then got some wine close by and poured it into the wound, he is lucky to be alive,also just missed his eye
This is what set him off, he rarely goes out, he should have had counselling

Mrsfloss Sun 11-Mar-18 14:39:23

It’s so hard but he has to want to stop. If he has been a problem drinker it’s hard to go back to normal whatever that is

HopeClearwater Sun 11-Mar-18 19:32:56

None of them want to stop. They can’t imagine life without their alcohol. That’s why they say they ‘just want to cut down’.

Karcheer Mon 12-Mar-18 19:05:48

I'm not sure that's true, I think some do want to stop, they just can't see a way to actually stop. I think of it like a Angel and Devil inside them, one says stop and one says drink... Devil says it'll be fine just to have one or two... They often have to hit rock bottom before they'll get it.

lovemylover Mon 12-Mar-18 20:07:08

Thtats true* Karcheer* and i am very worried at the moment h is having bad stomach pains ,i have told him to get to the Drs,he is bloated and thats not good, ,hes going to try to get in tomorrow
My daughters friend has Cirrhosis, and has to have her stomach drained every so often when fluid builds up

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: