Talk

Advanced search

Liver enzymes

(4 Posts)
pippitysqueakity Thu 05-Oct-17 17:00:21

Hi, had bloods taken 13 days ago. Not alcohol related. Was told Dr would phone on the Tuesday of last week if issues, would only phone if problem, otherwise I could phone to check. No phone call, so I left it. Today Surgery called to ask me to make an appointment. This is 13 days later. I asked why they said my liver enzymes slightly raised, I asked if it was serious they said no, but this was only receptionist, not Dr I was talking to. I am aware I drink too much so thinking this my wake up call, but given time span and info I've been given, has anyone any idea how worried I should be?
First available appointment Wed, so a while to brood!!
TIA

pippitysqueakity Thu 05-Oct-17 19:21:37

Bump?

Anglaise1 Thu 05-Oct-17 21:33:46

Do you know the actual AST ALAT and gamma results? The enzyme results aren’t definite proof of alcohol abuse. I recently had mine done after 5 weeks of no drinking and my liver enzymes were higher than when I was drinking wine every night (although still within the normal levels). Don’t worry until you see your GP

Hohofortherobbers Thu 05-Oct-17 22:40:56

Your liver enzymes can temporarily raise in response to all sorts of drugs not just alcohol (like paracetamol etc) it's unlikely to be a chronic problem, the gp will want to repeat the test so stop drinking now and let them recover, unless it's a chronic problem they will normalise. Then assess your drinking, it's unlikely to be a irreversible problem now but it could become one in the future

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now