Talk

Advanced search

Choking/gargling/drowning sound in sleep

(13 Posts)
drinkingnamechange Sat 13-May-17 09:38:53

Name change for this

DH has been functioning alcohol dependant for the 10 years I've known him. He only drinks at night but it's every night and has been for 10 years. His last drink is usually the one to get him drunk but it hits whilst he's asleep so he doesn't realise.

More recently I've woken to him sounding like he's drowning from the inside. Imagine you are blowing bubbles from a straw into a cup of water, if sounds like that til he chokes on the liquid and starts coughing. It lasts about an hour until he sobers up in his sleep then it moves to snoring. He does have acid reflux too.

Does anyone know what this is? I feel if I could describe it properly he would understand my worries more

endofthelinefinally Sat 13-May-17 09:43:28

He is verging on obstructed breathing.
He needs to address his alcoholism of course, but in the meantime he needs supervision and placing in the recovery position.
This is actually very serious and people do die in this context.
Would he be willing to get help?

stealtheatingtunnocks Sat 13-May-17 09:48:54

Have a look on youtube for sleep apnoea. Helpful people have recorded themselves snorting and rattling. Solution is good sleep hygiene, losing weight, less booze and sometimes CPAP mask.

Is he aware of his alcohol intake? Needs to speak to GP.

Good luck.

CurlsLDN Sat 13-May-17 09:52:04

Have a look at sleep apps on your phone. I've had two different apps and both would pick up any sound in the night and start recording it, so in the morning you could listen back to your own snoring.
I don't know why anyone would want to listen to themselves snoring, but I think it would also work to record your dh's noise

drinkingnamechange Sat 13-May-17 09:55:38

I know I should record him but I can't seem to get to my phone at night

He's aware of intake and will say he wants to change but it hasn't happened yet.

I'll google and see if I can get him to hear it.

It's hard because it's also keeping me awake, but I'm worried he might choke so don't feel I can kick him into another room. It doesn't happen every night, usually about once every 10 days when he's had that extra drink

Do we know what the fluid is that gargling/choking on? Is it just salva?

endofthelinefinally Sat 13-May-17 10:04:08

The fluid is building up in his lungs due to shallow breathing.
He must be drinking a lot of alcohol to get to that point.

Heirhelp Sat 13-May-17 10:06:14

He won't be sobering up in his sleep. It takes an hour for your body to process each unit of alcohol. How much does he drink every night and what time does he go to bed?

drinkingnamechange Sat 13-May-17 11:38:55

Sorry I didn't actually mean sober sober, I mean less drunk than the stage that makes him gargle.

You know, he's not drinking loads loads. 3 to 4 high strength beers. He's really not drinking in secret (open plan house and with me most of the time)

Mylittlestsunshine Sat 13-May-17 11:40:41

My DH is the same, he also stops breathing and I have to shake him to start him breathing again.

Could you record him and play it back it back to him so he can hear/see for himself what he's doing?

Mylittlestsunshine Sat 13-May-17 11:42:10

He has to hear/seeing for himself or if he's like my DH he will just think you are over reacting.

drinkingnamechange Sat 13-May-17 11:47:39

Thanks Sunshine, I think part of him does think I'm overreacting but part is just in denial

Mylittlestsunshine Sat 13-May-17 11:59:16

My DH's was a mixture of both but when confronted with the video evidence he could not deny it. He has now cut down the amount he drinks and has alcohol free evenings.

drinkingnamechange Sat 13-May-17 12:16:27

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now