Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone help an old lush through this?

(20 Posts)
HelpOldLush Wed 15-Mar-17 18:24:00

I probably started drinking at 13/14.

I wasn't like my friends though. Once I had a taste, I drank. I found ways to get it, I hid it, but it was always there. I remember weeping at the radio drinking whisky at probably 15. (I'm old.)

My Dad was, and my Sister is too. Mum tee total.

I'm a high functioning alc. Good job, most people would never know...

I have, have, have to stop. It's gone too far. But I am SOOOO SCARED.

I cannot lose my job.

If I don't drink I shake. I get these moments where I think I might blank out and have some sort of fit?

Can I withdrawth at home alone? Do I need medication?

How do I just start?

Other than reduction? What else? Because reduction means I don't and won't stop unless someone takes it away.

Can I stop, alone at home, and what do I need, and how long will it take?

Anxiety makes it harder.

HelpOldLush Wed 15-Mar-17 19:13:22

Bump?

HelpOldLush Wed 15-Mar-17 21:22:46

No? Ok.

fusspot66 Wed 15-Mar-17 21:25:03

Have you seen the DRY thread. Many of then have been where you are and will support you.

Lilaclily Wed 15-Mar-17 21:26:12

Have youbeen to the gp for support ?

SleepFreeZone Wed 15-Mar-17 21:27:18

You need to do this with help, not alone.

daisydalrymple Wed 15-Mar-17 21:27:42

Do you live alone or do you live with family who will support you through this?

elephantoverthehill Wed 15-Mar-17 21:30:47

You need to see your GP. If it is as bad as you describe you need help to stop, if you try to do it 'cold turkey' you put your health in danger. The GP will not judge. Look at the 'Brave Babes' thread in relationships.

KavvLar Wed 15-Mar-17 21:32:52

Didn't want to read and run. I haven't any experience I'm sorry but I know there are many paths you can take now you have identified what you want which is to stop.

I would start with either GP or someone who can sign post you to the right support for you. You will probably need help and it's no bad thing. Take a look on here and see what is available to you locally.

www.nhs.uk/Livewell/alcohol/Pages/Alcoholsupport.aspx

The very best of luck OP, you want to make a change and very often that is the first and biggest step to a brand new life.

Doowappydoo Wed 15-Mar-17 21:34:55

Don't do it alone - you need some help with this. It could be dangerous for you to do just stop.

Why don't you try GP as a first step? Make an appointment in the morning. Good luck and stay brave.

Owllady Wed 15-Mar-17 21:35:06

Go to your GP. They won't judge you at all
There should be an NHS alcohol liaison service under you local health authority. If you Google it should come up with the helpline number you can ring. It's a self referral system but you have to be completely honest with them.
The first step is seeking help and if you are getting withdrawal symptoms as severe as you say you need professional support.
Good luck x

HelpOldLush Fri 24-Mar-17 17:22:33

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Today I took step 1.

I went to the clinic my Doc had referred me to months ago. It was hard but I did it.

And here starts the journey.

I cried through the whole thing. But it can only get better, yes?

Medical advice due to my level was start reducing by 10% per week or I risk a seizure and they don't want that if I'm not under medical supervision.

daisydalrymple Fri 24-Mar-17 21:09:20

Well done you. One day at a time. You can do it.

Wolfiefan Fri 24-Mar-17 21:12:01

Well done. Step one is often very hard to take. Do you have ongoing support? Your family, health and wallet will all thank you. Good luck.

MrsDc7 Fri 24-Mar-17 21:16:25

Well done mate. Stick with it. You can do it

Tartle Fri 24-Mar-17 22:47:15

Well done for taking the first step. If you truly believe in yourself you do have the power to beat this. Are there any local support groups you can join to give you rl support?

toffeeboffin Fri 24-Mar-17 22:52:40

Well done, you are so brave flowers

kohl Fri 24-Mar-17 22:55:21

well bloody done. You can do it.

christmaswreaths Sat 25-Mar-17 07:48:24

Well done, you can do it! First steps are the hardest flowers

PovertyJetset Sat 25-Mar-17 07:50:24

You must taper off gently. You can do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now