Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What's normal?

(6 Posts)
Iamfoxy Sun 08-Jan-17 22:53:36

I don't drink a lot, rarely in the week and since having ds I may have a glass or two at the weekend but that's about it. I rarely get out, so probably completely out of touch.

My OH though is different to me. I don't know if this is a male thing or a him thing. So what is "normal" consumption - I'm not talking about government guidance here.

Is it wrong that I challenge his consumption very occasionally? When I have I get the silent treatment followed by accusations of picking on him. I get that it could be seen as picking on him but I'm just trying to look after him and his liver; so he doesn't go the same way as his family have.

Confused.

BackforGood Sun 08-Jan-17 22:55:45

I'd say your consumption is normal, but you'll get a range of options on here.

PurpleDaisies Sun 08-Jan-17 23:00:46

How much is he drinking? If he's having a few pints every now and again, you're probably out of order but if he's drinking more than recommended you're right to challenge him. Responding with anger to people suggesting you cut down is a screening question for alcoholism (but to be fair if you're nagging him over occasional drinking then it's likely he will be pissed off).

Iamfoxy Sun 08-Jan-17 23:16:41

He drinks pretty much every day. He'll start with cider or g&t, with a couple of glasses of wine. The only reason I said anything today was because he had two shorts in about 30 minutes. First time I've said anything in a long long time.

Aboutblank Sun 08-Jan-17 23:23:13

Sounds like he's an alcoholic. My dh is an alcoholic in recovery.

jcne Wed 18-Jan-17 21:04:48

I make my assessment based on the attitude rather than the quantity. my bf ( I no longer speculate about the severity of his drink problem) can go for days with nothing. however when the opportunity arises little to no other
commitment will stand in his way, he is unable to moderate quantity, he becomes a very unpleasant person, he thinks nothing of DUI.

unfortunately he is surrounded by a lot of people who he enables and who likewise enable him so I'm just a mean old bitch who wants to seize control of him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now