Talk

Advanced search

Does the AA have a Samaritans-style phoneline?

(7 Posts)
Jepenseque Mon 21-Nov-16 10:01:16

Hi,

Just that, really. I know AlAnon have a helpline, but I'm assuming its to find out information rather than have a moan. Or am I wrong? I could try the Samaritans (actually tried to last night but they were busy) but I'd rather talk to someone who knows what I'm going through.

It's DP. He's always been a drinker, but it's gotten a lot worse lately. Not helped by the fact that for the first time in years he has a good mate (A) living nearby that he can drink with. Though he'll go to his flat even when the friend is on call and thus can't drink and get pissed anyway.

In a way I shouldn't complain. He's rarely abusive when drunk (and when he is it's minor verbal abuse). It's the broken promises lately that are grinding me down.

Could just really do with talking to someone who'll understand. Any ideas?

vxa2 Wed 23-Nov-16 23:02:26

There is some helpful information here https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/alcohol-support-services/

This organisation run family and friends meetings but I don't think they have a helpline as such:
https://www.smartrecovery.org.uk/meetings

It is really important that you take care of yourself. Don't feel you are "complaining". You are in a very hard position and you have been very brave to reach out for support.

I hope that helps a bit.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Wed 28-Dec-16 13:05:28

There may be an Al Anon meeting near you. That's a good bet for support and understanding.

lljkk Wed 28-Dec-16 13:37:05

you need Al-Anon, not AA, Al-Anon is for support not just info: www.al-anonuk.org.uk

myoriginal3 Wed 28-Dec-16 13:39:39

Al anon is the phone line you need.

myoriginal3 Wed 28-Dec-16 13:41:27

Al anon line will be manned by your peers ie family members of problem drinkers.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Wed 28-Dec-16 14:52:54

You need to remember that AA, AlAnon, NA and all the other 12 step programmes are run by and for the people involved. Al Anon is for anyone affected by someone else's drinking. They are not professionals, but in my experience that's why they work. No one understands living with an alcoholic like someone who is doing so themselves, or has done. A doctor or a counsellor knows the medicine, but that's not the same as living with a drunk. Good luck, OP.

There is hope. I have been sober for very many years and it was the hurt I was causing to those who loved me that made me change. It can be done, but not by you. It's the alcoholic who has to change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now