Talk

Advanced search

Mother with alcoholic liver disease :(

(4 Posts)
eeyore2911 Wed 02-Mar-16 09:38:26

My Mum has always been a very, very heavy drinker so it's not really a huge surprise, although both my parents are in huge denial. My mother was blue lighted to hospital last week vomiting blood and passing lots of blood in her stools. She obviously lies about how much she drinks but the blood tests will have revealed the truth. She has quite bad liver damage- blood is very thin etc but her and my dad are of the opinion that if she stops drinking for a couple of weeks her liver will magically heal itself and she can go back to drinking!! I am so, so annoyed and tried to tell my Dad it was quite serious and she shouldn't be drinking and so he has fallen out with me (he's not a drinker) for 'being doom and gloom' and that I've ruined his life and made him depressed and worried- all I did was show him the NHS alcoholic liver disease page. I don't really know why I'm posting as I know there's no magic solution but I'm so upset and frustrated- she will be dead in a year if she carries on but they are pretending it's all fine sad I'm so sad and have no one to talk to about this as it's obviously a sensitive subject to have an alcoholic mother in her 60's who has drunk herself into such a serious state sad

MajesticWhine Wed 02-Mar-16 13:09:04

Sorry you are going through this. She will be denying the seriousness of it because she can't stop and doesn't know how to. Does she have a follow up doctor / consultant appointment re. her liver? Maybe she will be given some harsh truths then. Maybe you could offer to attend with her? She really needs some ongoing support to stop drinking though, there will be an alcohol service that she should be referred to if she is willing to give it a try.

PurpleWithRed Wed 02-Mar-16 13:13:58

As you know, it's not you that's "ruined his life" but your mother. I am so sorry to hear this, it must be very difficult for you to have to deal not only with the sadness of your mum's condition but their denial too.

eeyore2911 Wed 02-Mar-16 14:47:55

She's got an appointment in a couple of weeks with a consultant with some additional tests that have been sent off somewhere. I will try to go but I'm pretty sure they will make sure I don't sad
I hope that maybe something will start to sink in with them- I appreciate it is hard for them too but they needs to face facts. I really hope the Drs put it bluntly to them and font sugar coat what is going on. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now