2 years alcohol free and I've just got drunk

(11 Posts)
Peonylass Mon 21-Dec-15 00:10:24

Meh.

I have been really missing alcohol the last few weeks as life has bee quite upsetting, and I've just drunk a bottle of wine someone got me for my 40th over a year ago. It was very good wine.

I hope I can go back to being dry. I was so proud of myself for the horrible things I've navigated since 2013 without any booze.

SleepyForest Mon 21-Dec-15 00:13:47

Of course you can. You can start being dry again right now. It's your choice.

hownottofuckup Mon 21-Dec-15 00:17:27

You still have navigated all that stuff booze free.
Tomorrows a new day, get some sleep and continue as you were.

shoopshoopsong Mon 21-Dec-15 00:17:35

It's a shame but you've recognised it and you can move on! Well done for your achievements so far, wishing you all the best to carry on dry

ChinaSorrows Mon 21-Dec-15 00:28:08

Wash up the glass
Put the bottle out
It's finished
Tomorrow is a new day and you are in charge.

BikeRunSki Mon 21-Dec-15 00:29:56

New day tomorrow. One day at a time.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Mon 21-Dec-15 00:31:49

Absolutely. One slip, that's all it is - you're still on the road though, so just pick yourself back up and carry on.

I'm assuming that you've been alcohol free for 2 years because you have had a problem with it? In which case, yes, tomorrow is a new day and you can go back to being alcohol-free.

CainInThePunting Mon 21-Dec-15 00:32:16

It's a bugger to slip up but not the end of the world.
2 years without is quite an achievement so all you have to do now is get through tomorrow without taking a drink.
One day at a time right?

Peonylass Mon 21-Dec-15 06:10:11

Thanks. This has been a great reminder of how little alcohol likes me, sweats, palpitations and just making me feel even more low.

I gave up for that and also because I could see I was getting more reliant on it as a temporary pick me up.

tribpot Mon 21-Dec-15 06:59:43

So what can you learn from this episode? If you want it not to happen again, you need to work out why it happened this time.

I'd suggest a number of factors - if you'd given up booze, why did a friend get you a bottle of wine as a present? Is it because you haven't been open about giving up and (to some extent) why? Making it public is powerful. It gives you accountability that you can otherwise avoid.

Second, why did you keep the wine in the house? Even if at some point you intended to drink it, let's say share it with a good friend over the course of a couple of nights when it wasn't going to be used as a crutch, realistically keeping it out of the house where you had to ask someone else for it before you could drink it would be useful.

Third, the warning signs were already there that you were likely to fall off the wagon. Listen to your triggers, prepare for it. Stay mindful that the craving could hit, have strategies.

Is it fun to have to think about not drinking booze nearly as actively as you once used to think about drinking it? No. But you have to keep actively opposing it.

Two years is a great achievement, and what happened to you could happen to literally any of us, there's no room for complacency. Spending too long brooding on the mistake will be harmful, but not taking the lessons from it will be harmful too.

Pick yourself up and dust yourself off this morning. Recognise the 'logic' that could make your brain say: well, you've slipped once. You feel awful anyway so why not drink again? Stay on guard and keep going.

teaforoneplease Tue 01-Mar-16 14:04:03

Well done to you for being so honest. I have been dry for 10 mnths and I keep thinking I'm fine and I can just drink socially. Your message and fear have reminded me that it's so easy to slip. I really hope you'll be OK and am sure this will be a one off because you are clearly in touch with the damage that alcohol can cause for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now