Talk

Advanced search

Essentiale Forte/Essentiale MAX

(4 Posts)
AnotherGirlsParadise Thu 09-Jul-15 16:46:50

Has anyone here ever taken these supplements to help liver damage? From what I can see, they're widely prescribed in mainland Europe and are recommended even for people with cirrhosis in order to improve liver function.

I've just come out of withdrawal after the most dreadful binge of my life, and am steeling myself to ask for LFTs in a few weeks' time, so I'd love to know if anyone here has tried these.

tribpot Thu 09-Jul-15 16:51:41

I haven't - but am curious why the goal is to try to improve your liver function before it's tested. Wouldn't it be better to get an accurate measure of the current state and then ask for appropriate supplements to improve? No need to wait - when it comes to recovery the best time is always now.

AnotherGirlsParadise Thu 09-Jul-15 16:55:20

tribpot, maybe because I'm bloody terrified of the outcome, if I'm honest with myself. I don't want to drink again, I'm absolutely certain of that, but I admit that I'm very frightened of having these tests done due to finally finding out how much damage I've actually done over the years.

I guess I want the reassurance that my liver COULD get better, y'know? That I haven't destroyed it completely. But as you say, the only way of knowing for sure is testing.

tribpot Thu 09-Jul-15 17:35:14

Well, the liver is very good at recovering, once it's given the chance to do so. Taking supplements before you're tested won't make any difference to the state it's currently in. The absolute best thing you can do for your liver is not to drink again.

I had some truly hair raising test results when I stopped drinking. One particular score my GP told me he'd only ever seen one result higher and that person died. I was sent for an ultrasound to see whether I'd fucked things up permanently but got the all clear and now four years later all my tests are well inside the normal range, liver is fine.

The best way to help yourself not drink is to know how bad it actually is. To admit it first to your GP and then to other people, and to bring your secret out into the light. You won't beat this by hiding it away or trying to mask the symptoms, that's what got you to this place (a place I know very well).

This book really helped me when I first quit.

Get yourself off to the GP. The best day to start is always today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now