Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Close friend has just been matched - what shall I get her?

(17 Posts)
MissM Fri 06-Nov-09 21:12:22

An old friend has been waiting and waiting and WAITING to be matched and finally has been, with a little girl. I'm absolutely thrilled and delighted for all of them and will obviously send a congratulations card, but was wondering what would be a good present for her? I will send something for the little girl when she arrives, but wanted to get something for my friend as she's had a hellish time (don't know full story but knows it involves a lot of IVF). What would be an appropriate new mum present?

bran Fri 06-Nov-09 21:17:27

Does she have a freezer? Some really good quality meals to just stick in the microwave would have gone down well when we first got DS.

MissM Fri 06-Nov-09 21:19:52

Would love to do that but she lives over 200 miles away and as I have two very small children it would be hard to get there. But perhaps a Tesco home delivery?!

monkeyfacegrace Fri 06-Nov-09 21:22:14

That is a fantastic idea! If I had opened the door to a Tesco delivery man when first had my dd Id have cried with happiness!
So, how old is her daughter?

MissM Fri 06-Nov-09 21:23:46

She's 2. They meet next week. I've been almost in tears since she told me - feel like it's happening to me! Perhaps a Tesco home delivery is the answer...

EightiesChick Fri 06-Nov-09 21:24:46

Bottle of champagne never goes amiss, does it? Maybe that and some nice treaty foods you know she likes? Stuff she can cram down between nappies etc. would probably be good.

When I was in this position I was pleased also to see cards saying 'Your little boy/girl is here!' which I got because the language was all about the child's arrival not birth, but it was still a new baby card IYSWIM.

hester Fri 06-Nov-09 21:24:47

What a nice friend you are. bran's idea is a good one. Some other thoughts: a locket, or charm bracelet with her dd's initial on it. Some lovely bath oil for relaxing when little one finally goes to bed. A beautiful photo album for recording early days. Flowers.

MissM Fri 06-Nov-09 21:34:58

I'm glad you said that EightiesChick cos although I was going to see if I could find an appropriate card tomorrow I am worried that all the cards will be about birth.

All these ideas are brilliant, really getting me thinking. Keep them coming! She's a wonderful friend, has been there for me more times than I can count, and I want to really make her feel special.

blithedance Fri 06-Nov-09 22:41:26

You could send a voucher for some make up and things (e.g. Debenhams) - she may not realise she won't be able to shop unencumbered for at least 3 years. I had a moment of inspiration before our LO's were placed, and went out and bought three lots of face cream, toiletries and make up essentials, which was a good thing because with so much to learn and remember, taking care of myself was way down the list, and it was good to know I had enough to keep me going for a few months.

Kewcumber Sat 07-Nov-09 09:54:41

Lots of "birth" cards are appropriate if you have a look round.

I'm impressed Blithe that you kept up with face cream and makeup - I still haven't got back to it yet!

MissM Mon 09-Nov-09 08:36:25

Thank you all for your help. I can't wait for her little girl to arrive!

If you look on www.moonpig.com you'll be able to tweak the wording on most of the "new baby" cards.

shockers Mon 09-Nov-09 09:35:52

I saw some 'mum and daughter' bracelets and necklaces in a catalogue called " Not on the High St" Simple silver but very pretty. Mummy on the big one and DD's name on the little one. I've been leaving the catalogue around for DH to see!

shockers Mon 09-Nov-09 09:39:57

Ooops... just looked and the "Mummy and me slinky bracelet set is £149... the necklace set is £89.

Astrophe Mon 09-Nov-09 09:42:34

Abel and Cole organics do some nice chilled, freezable meals, as well as pies, quiche etc etc

Astrophe Mon 09-Nov-09 09:50:52

meant to say, they deliver.

DaftApeth Mon 09-Nov-09 10:33:18

How exciting!

Does this company deliver to your area? Cook

Their food is much more homemade tasting than regular ready meals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now