Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

how to welcome a new baby into the family?

(8 Posts)
carocaro Sun 04-Oct-09 10:45:27

My Cousin and his wife are adopting a baby at the end of this month, which is brilliant.

Is it OK to send a baby card? I have found a lovely one, that just says 'Pure Joy Baby Boy' on it.

THis is a first for me and our family, they are both so nervous and excited about it all, I want to support them without putting my foot in it.

What language is appropriate?

sweetnitanitro Sun 04-Oct-09 10:53:34

I think it's a lovely idea to send a card, the one you've found sounds perfect. Maybe the new baby would like a pressie too grin clothes always go down well. I can't see why they would be offended by that, is there anything you are worried that will upset them? I think I would just treat this the same as any new arrival, pressie, card and lots of fuss grin

alypaly Sun 04-Oct-09 11:03:12

carocaro do they have any other children

bran Sun 04-Oct-09 11:04:02

That sounds lovely. DS and DD were 11 mo and 14 mo when we got them and we got lots of cards, some just plain congratulations some baby girl/baby boy and we were thrilled to get all of them. Say whatever you like inside, eg "Welcome to little xx" or just wish them happiness.

I personally would avoid giving cards showing a new born or stork, but I wouldn't have been at all offended to receive one. In fact I think quite a few of the cards we got showed tiny babies and my only thoughts were how nice it was of the senders to send one.

busybutterfly Sun 04-Oct-09 13:31:16

I think anything that you would give for a new born baby is appropriate for an adopted child. I bet they're very excited! Congrats!!

IWantToLiveOnAFarm Sun 04-Oct-09 13:32:51

If you want, you can get cards for adopted children but there are plenty of welcoming baby to the family cards out there. Or make one and personalise it.

carocaro Sun 04-Oct-09 22:36:24

Thanks for all advice, they don't have any other children.

Kewcumber Sun 04-Oct-09 23:02:21

baby cards are always welcome! Wording really not that important unless it refers to "birth", "arrival" is fine - I even found stork cards rather amusing because it did feel a bit like DS was brought by the stork!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now