Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

How do I go about finding an adopted childs (now adults) name?

(6 Posts)
TheOriginalXENA Sat 19-Jul-08 08:33:02

I have the birth name and month/year of birth, plus place of birth. How do I go on to the next stage?
Adopted child is my cousin.

KristinaM Sat 19-Jul-08 09:05:07

if you are a birth relative you need to contact one of the organisations who deal with this. Which country do you live in?

if they have information about your former cousin, they will not give this to you but may agree to contact him/her saying that you wish to get in touch

you are not allowed to access the official records regarding adoption, as they are confidential and only open to the adoptee

TheOriginalXENA Sat 19-Jul-08 14:15:48

Thanks Kristina. We are in the UK. So I need to add myself to the register and provide copies of my aunts, mothers and own birth certificates. I have searched message boards, but she isn't listed.

KristinaM Sat 19-Jul-08 15:37:39

norcap cover england and wales AFAIK. they have a contact register, which costs £15 to join and AFAIK you don't have to provide any birth certificates
norcap

birthlink is the adoption contact register for Scotland. Top register costs £20
birthlink

KristinaM Sat 19-Jul-08 15:38:56

do you mind if i ask whether your aunt knows you are searching? i assume she is the birth mother ?

Acinonyx Sat 19-Jul-08 16:14:51

An acredited body such as norcap or social services can get that information on the behalf of a relative in order to trace that person - but they cannot legally pass the name on to anyone. This kind of trace is called a non-disclosure agreement and is usually done for the birth mother or next closest surviving birth relative such as a sibling. So legally, you cannot have the name yourself, and to hae a non-disclosure agreement would require her birth mother's consent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now