Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Finding out more information about birth mother - advice on where to look please!

(13 Posts)
sophierosie Sun 13-Jul-08 09:16:49

I'm not actively searching for my birth mother but this morning curiosity got the better of me and I have had a look on geneology website and am pretty sure I've found her marriage records. Her maiden name is quite unusual so I'm really sure its her. Location is also right.

I know her maiden name and I'm sure my mum has some info on her which will have her date of birth. So how would I go about finding out an address?

jofeb04 Sun 13-Jul-08 10:09:44

Hiya,

When I was searching, I had a thread on here asking for anyone who does family searches etc if they can have a look for me!

Got the address within a couple of days (and as two people seached,the address was the same!).

HTH

sophierosie Sun 13-Jul-08 18:19:14

That's a good idea - I'm not wanting to make contact at the moment, just seeing whats there really.

Its good to know that she is still alive though and married - although no record of any other children so far.

MrsTiddles Wed 16-Jul-08 20:04:02

norcap

They find out if the people you think are your relatives actually are, and they find out if they are still living or not

and if you want, further down the line they can serve as a very experienced go between so you are not faced with making contact alone

I phoned them for advice about my husband's birth family (he asked me to) and they were a huge help, very thoughtful and kind and experienced

Shoshe Wed 16-Jul-08 20:14:49

Hi I think I helped Jo, if you want to email on nanny 475 at hotmail dot com I can see what I can find if you would like.

sophierosie Wed 16-Jul-08 20:24:46

Yes - I have thought about Norcap - I thought that as I don't want to make contact just to 'know' she is still alive and possibly living close by.

Shoshe - I'll email you with what I've got so far - thank you!

MrsTiddles Wed 16-Jul-08 20:26:46

I would stick with the trained professionals personally and try to avoid finding stuff out on the internet.

Having said that, i'm giving you advice on a public forum on the internet blush

sophierosie Wed 16-Jul-08 21:27:25

I do partly agree with you and would definitely use Norcap if I ever wanted to actually make contact - I can't justify the fee at the moment especially when I think it is just curiousity rather than a desire to make contact.

Shoshe Wed 16-Jul-08 21:53:47

Have emailed you what I have found, but I cant find a address. Good luck with your search.

PortAndLemon Wed 16-Jul-08 21:56:52

If you order a copy of the marriage certificate it will have an address (as of that date) on it.

sophierosie Thu 17-Jul-08 14:08:53

Thank you so much for your email!

NorkyButNice Fri 18-Jul-08 16:39:36

I found mine on Friends Reunited (having got all my birth records from the relevant council through Norcap).

Good luck!

jofeb04 Sat 19-Jul-08 18:58:03

Shoshe,

You did help me, and the address is correct

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now