Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Can you get adoption cards?

(16 Posts)
itati Sat 05-Jul-08 19:03:32

Like new baby but welcome to the family to the child and congratulations? (other word maybe) to the parents?

Yorkiegirl Sat 05-Jul-08 19:05:08

Message withdrawn

bran Sat 05-Jul-08 19:06:36

You can buy them from Adoption UK but I don't think it's necessary really. We got lots of 'Congratulations' cards and a few 'it's a boy/baby boy' cards when we got ds and we were thrilled to get them.

Niecie Sat 05-Jul-08 19:09:22

I got one for my BIL and his wife from the local card shop.

Difficulty is knowing when to send it for me - when the children arrive or when the adoption is finalised which could be many months down the line.

lucicle Sat 05-Jul-08 19:13:37

Message withdrawn

bran Sat 05-Jul-08 19:15:58

Niecie, if you're only sending one then do it when the children arrive. Otherwise send a card for both stages, it could be up to a year between the children being placed and the adoption being finalised and that would be a long time to wait to congratulate them.

Califrau Sat 05-Jul-08 19:22:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

itati Sat 05-Jul-08 19:23:41

Thanks everyone. I will look in the bigger card shops.

greenelizabeth Sat 05-Jul-08 19:24:50

I sent a blacnk card to my cousin when she got her baby, and I just wrote my own message. But the card I got had a baby with a telephone on it. I'd seen others that would have been nice too. not impossible to find a suitable card.

Niecie Sat 05-Jul-08 19:25:39

Thats what we did in the end - I think we sent a congratulations one after court, which was 18mths down the line in their case. We couldn't send a new baby one as the children were 2 and 5yrs so sent the adoption one then as it was more appropriate.

StealthPolarBear Sat 05-Jul-08 19:26:54

i've seen them, yes, in places like clinton's, don't think there's a great deal of choice tho

PertweeAndLemon Sat 05-Jul-08 19:30:33

You could adapt a standard new baby card at www.moonpig.com <<thinks: I should be on commission, the number of times I've recommended them>>

Kewcumber Sat 05-Jul-08 21:35:06

I too would say congratulations cards are just fine.

ilovemydog Mon 07-Jul-08 20:00:34

or what about a 'welcome home' under the house warming category?

Dynamicnanny Sun 20-Jul-08 16:12:05

I like the welcome home idea

drspouse Sun 20-Jul-08 16:31:56

I got one for a friend that said "Brand New Mummy and Daddy" (which wouldn't be any good for a second adopted child!). I know it takes ages before adoptions are finalised so have actually given it to them now they have a date for bringing him home (he's overseas).

Even though he'll be under 1, all the baby boy cards had prams or rattles and he's not that small!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now