Talk

Advanced search

Convicted family member

(3 Posts)
BeaCat Fri 13-Sep-19 11:26:17

Hello, we are in the very early stages of thinking about adoption. The government guide states that you may not be approved if you have a convicted family member - about 20 years ago my husband's brother went to prison for about 3 years for being involved in setting fire to a police station (no one was hurt). He's got a house, family, job now and not been in trouble since. Is this something they would look into and would it affect our application? Thanks in advance 😊

OP’s posts: |
donquixotedelamancha Fri 13-Sep-19 14:29:23

The government guide states that you may not be approved if you have a convicted family member

It says you can't adopt if a member of your household has a conviction for serious sexual offences.

Is this something they would look into and would it affect our application?

Yes; no. They will ask questions about your circumstances. They might ask about your BiL's participation in your life because that is a pretty serious conviction, but it's certainly not going to stop you adopting. You need to show that you've got a good support network and that you are willing to prioritise a child's needs. All they are interested in is the needs of the child and ensuring any potential risks are considered. Presumably your BiL has sorted his life and is not a risk now?

Just be honest and open. Make sure you emphasise all the positives about what you can provide for a child. You'll be fine.

BeaCat Sun 15-Sep-19 10:30:51

Hi @donquixotedelamancha thank you for your respons and advice. That does make me feel better, it was another thing I was worrying about.
Yes his life is sorted now and he definitely wouldn't be any risk.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in