Talk

Advanced search

Feeling a bit overwhelmed

(6 Posts)
poppet31 Tue 23-Jul-19 16:43:41

We have been linked with an amazing little boy following a successful visit last week. Things are now moving very quickly indeed and we have matching panel booked in for end of August with a view to starting introductions at the start of September.

It took us 18 months to get approved so while I'm glad that things are moving along now, I wasn't really prepared for it to happen this fast. I can't quite believe that I will be finishing up work in 6 weeks. It feels like I'm planning someone else's life to be honest. It's all very surreal. We have meetings booked in with foster carers, nursery etc in a couple of weeks. We have already spoken to the medical adviser.

Not really sure why I'm posting really. Just feeling a bit overwhelmed and looking for a hand hold. I have an almost infinite list of things to buy and do! And also worried something will go wrong or they'll change their minds!

OP’s posts: |
topcat2014 Tue 23-Jul-19 17:02:49

I meet my LO a week today and don't feel prepared either, two and a bit weeks they move in. It has been 20 months for us

Ted27 Tue 23-Jul-19 19:20:24

I think everyone feels overwhelmed at some point - so you are perfectly normal!

Try and take a breather at some point, it doesnt all have to be done before intros so priortise

Congratulations and good luck

AgathaCroosty Tue 23-Jul-19 21:43:44

My overwhelming period came the day of our panel, when I realised that there was the potientially as much waiting as there was for our adoption journey.

We'd only been approved 5 days before we found our LO. Panel is in two weeks, LO moves in around 3 weeks time.

Like you OP, there was our journey, 15 months & then the outlook of months family finding was truly daunting. Anyway once we had the link meeting it's been so fast! Can't quite believe that I'll be finishing work in 2 weeks time & like you say, it feels so surreal. I'm sure that you'll be fine!!!

Best of luck to you!

poppet31 Tue 23-Jul-19 22:56:22

Thanks everyone. It's nice to know it's normal to feel this way. I do feel grateful that the matching phase has been very short for us but I think it's suddenly just hit me how much life is about to change.

How lovely to hear that others are at similar stages. I wish you all the best of luck. smile

OP’s posts: |
Italiangreyhound Tue 23-Jul-19 23:12:22

poppet31 all the best, it is intense but it is amazing.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in