Talk

Advanced search

Instant Family

(5 Posts)
Hoplittlebunnies Tue 19-Feb-19 22:27:53

Has anyone seen this? Went to watch it with my mum tonight and thought it was brilliant! Wasn't expecting much tbh especially as it's an American film and I know nothing of the US foster system or how it differs from the UK, but it really resonated. The social workers were exactly like our SW, the conversations the couple were having are identical to conversations I had with my DH, and even some of the court stuff was the same. Loved it!

OP’s posts: |
itsallabouttobegin Wed 20-Feb-19 12:49:05

I loved it too! We're waiting for a match to be confirmed and I found parts of it quite emotional which I didn't expect. Watching the adverts I thought it would be quite a light comedy but did find that it captured some of the emotions and issues well. I'm pretty sure I was the only person in the cinema to shed a tear - think some of the emotions would just go over the heads of people who haven't gone through it.

Redcrayonisthebest Fri 22-Feb-19 16:50:18

I watched this last night and cried my eyes out. It's very emotional but I found myself a bit hmmat the ease with which they acquired three children. I don't suppose a more accurate representation of the process would make a good film though!

hidinginthenightgarden Sat 23-Feb-19 19:01:51

To be fair to the film makers, it is pretty easy to adopt in the US. So many kids are looking for a home that the checks are not that extensive and restrictions are few. For example, in the UK you have to maintain the natural order of the family and adopt a child 2 yrs younger than exsisting children. In the US there are no rules. I could have adopted a 6 yr old despite having a 3 yr old at the time. No rules about TTC/foster whilst adopting. It is fine to have a go at it all and see what works out. IT's why there are alot of private "black market" style adoptions (or there was 10-15 yrs ago), because not much thought is put into matching etc.

Hels20 Wed 27-Feb-19 01:42:59

I saw this on the plane and really enjoyed it. I felt it was quite realistic and definitely didn’t paint a rosy picture. I think it was written by someone who fostered and then adopted - and you could tell. Some of the scenes were pretty close to the mark. I definitely felt very emotional watching it

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in