Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Later life Letters

(9 Posts)
IAmMumWho Thu 09-Aug-18 10:10:50

Hi all

Can someone clarify who the later life letters are off/from?

We've been given draft copies of the LSB and then a massive essay off the child's social worker.

They have emailed asking if we're happy etc although bits do need changing ie wrong names and places.

Are birth parents meant to write the children letters or not?

Thanks

Dontbuymesocks Thu 09-Aug-18 14:31:23

Ours is written by the social worker to our DS. At our LAC review it was praised by the IRO but it’s actually pretty poor - there are inaccuracies and the language switches between being child friendly to that of a formal report. We’ll probably re-write it ourselves to make it read better/more age appropriate.

PurpleMac Thu 09-Aug-18 17:14:20

Ours was written from SW to DS. DH and I both read it, so we know what is in there (there's a few speculative things we weren't sure would be included, and they are not, so we know not to share these with DS) and have now sealed it for DS to open once he is older.

IAmMumWho Thu 09-Aug-18 19:18:16

Thanks both for clearing that up for me.

I had it in my mind that they were from Birth Parents.

Sad thing is though, we do kind of have something from their birth dad but nothing from birth Mum.

UnderTheNameOfSanders Fri 10-Aug-18 19:18:15

We have one from SW and also one from BM.

darkriver198868 Sat 11-Aug-18 20:49:16

I have been asked as a BM to write something for each child.

Rainatnight Sun 12-Aug-18 21:39:54

Ours is from SW and is so bad it's unusable. DD is young enough for us not to have to worry about it just now but I find myself thinking a lot about what I'm going to do later - I might just try to re-write it to make it half way decent (and to take off the picture of Mr Tumble. hmm SW didn't quite get the memo about what later life means).

HaveAWeeNap Mon 13-Aug-18 12:21:59

We still haven't received ours, or life story book... three years after placement.

Dontbuymesocks Mon 13-Aug-18 12:54:56

Our life story book is also rubbish - there are parts of it which are just photocopies of Wikipedia pages about birth mum’s home town. There is more information about the steel industry than there is about the birth family!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: