Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Snail speed

(7 Posts)
Owlie12346 Wed 13-Jun-18 10:16:16

My LA are being useless almost a year ongoing and they still havent got started, and it should only be a fast tracked assessment anyway. Any idea of what I can be doing to get things done that I can hand them to get going, they dont need to do references or DBS etc, Ive done an adoption profile ready and loads of training courses so is there anything else I can do while Im waiting on them to catch up?

suitechild Wed 13-Jun-18 11:50:41

Can I ask what you mean by a fast track assessment?

Owlie12346 Wed 13-Jun-18 12:18:56

Yes because I'm a registered foster carer Im eligble for a fast track assessment, it means they skip straight to step 2 and only dont have to redo the references dbs background checks I dont have to redo the training and so on, as its all already done, they just have to do the assessment form

bostonkremekrazy Thu 14-Jun-18 11:59:05

I've adopted 4 times.
They redid my references and dbs every time, so although you are a fc you may find it all needs doing again.
Fc where i am also have to do adoption training as it is a different course - is it not the same where you live?
Are they stalling you because they dont want to loose you as a fc?
Are you trying to adopt a child you currently foster?
You could write a letter of complaint to the adoption manager and ask for a plan of how you move forward....or after a year you could cut your losses and change agencies and start again is that an option?

Owlie12346 Thu 14-Jun-18 12:45:20

No not a child I currently foster. They are only losing me during adoption leave, I'm going back after, I do cwd short breaks you see. Here the training courses are the same. Ive been told because of the new legislation and how recently theyve just done my dbs etc that I'll skip straight past that. I think they are just that unorganised to be fair, its driving me nuts though!

hidinginthenightgarden Thu 14-Jun-18 19:43:07

Can you use a different LA?
Our assessment only took 9 months and it was our first time so had to go through everything.

Owlie12346 Thu 14-Jun-18 20:02:18

I might have to at this rate, 3 months in and so far I'm at one phone call and two emails! Ive been trying not to cause a stir as I dont want to lose my work for the future but if I dont start getting somewhere soon I may have to!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: