Talk

Advanced search

Anyone work in education/for an academy?

(5 Posts)
Iggyflop Sun 18-Feb-18 12:41:53

Hi all,

We’re currently in stage 1 at the moment.

I’m not actively looking for a new job but I’ve stumbled across a vacancy online this morning that I’m interested in. It would fit family life far better than my current job does. It’s in the same area of expertise I have but in a different sector. I know within the public sector (at least where we live) there’s a bit of a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ that you can transfer between say NHS and local authority and take over your accrued leave entitlement, pension etc. Is this usual moving between LA and an academy? Maybe something I could negotiate?

Next question is; do academies tend to have a similar adoption leave policy to those of the NHS or LA? (ie generous and including occupational adoption pay alongside SAP?)

Just two points that I suspect people might ask...

1. I am the main breadwinner so if one of us have to stop working it will be him

2. Our LA is fine with people changing job during the process as long as we’ve figured out timings of leave entitlement etc.

TIA

OP’s posts: |
Iggyflop Sun 18-Feb-18 12:43:11

Ha! DYAC...changed DH to him! I suppose both fit the sentence!

topcat2014 Sun 18-Feb-18 18:56:14

I only know a little bit (school governor), but, AFAIK, academies wholly independent of LA and funded directly from Dept Education.

Thus, I think it unlikely they would take any consideration of benefits from a previous LA job - in much the same as moving between two private sector employers would be.

OlennasWimple Sun 18-Feb-18 21:36:31

Yes, at topcat says, academies are private companies, so you are very very unlikely to be able to move over any accrued entitlements.

I think the only scenario where you would be able to do this is if you were already working at a school before it converted into an academy

Iggyflop Mon 19-Feb-18 08:54:41

Thank you! I suspected that would be the case. I guess it won’t do any harm to apply. It can’t hurt to ask and I can weigh up the pros and cons if I’m even offered it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in