Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Jury service

(7 Posts)
Dontbuymesocks Sun 03-Dec-17 09:21:55

My DS was placed with us in September. I'm taking the maximum adoption leave and, together with annual leave, this means I won't be going back to work until December 2018. However, I've just been called for jury service in January 2018. I really don't want to have to put DS into childcare so early for obvious reasons and don't have family to call on for 2 whole weeks. I can apply to defer to upcoming to one year. Does anyone know if this would be grounds for either deferral/exemption. I have no objection to doing jury service, I just don't want to do it now.

fasparent Sun 03-Dec-17 10:43:30

Happened to us would request for both giving explanation as too why.
Was deferred have not heard from them since this was a good few years ago.
Good luck.

fatberg Sun 03-Dec-17 12:57:57

I got a deferral once because I’d just been laid off and needed to be job hunting so my impression is they are (or can be) quite flexible with deferrals. Definitely worth asking.

flapjackfairy Sun 03-Dec-17 18:08:51

If you are your childs full time carer then yes you can defer so call asap.

MonsterChopz Sun 03-Dec-17 20:29:57

I was cited for Jiry service 2 months after placement. I called the court but was told I needed to provide some sort of evidence so Iasked my SW to write a letter for me and I was excused.

Dontbuymesocks Sun 03-Dec-17 21:29:05

Thanks so much everyone, this sounds positive so I'll contact them tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Daisy151 Sun 03-Dec-17 22:46:54

I was called for jury service a year after our LO was placed but I called them straight away and explained I could not leave our child with anyone due to attachment issues. They sent form and it was deferred no probs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now