Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

National Adoption Week

(24 Posts)
fatberg Tue 17-Oct-17 21:04:12

Because apparently I'm a complete cow, I'm finding the endless fb posts/news stories for Adoption Week to be really grating. Yeah yeah, sure you'd adopt them in a heart beat if you had a spare room.

How are the rest of you doing? 😀

TunnelofLove485 Tue 17-Oct-17 21:31:01

I didn't even know it was adoption week! Completely off my radar

Twogirlsandme Tue 17-Oct-17 21:44:59

Strangely it doesn't bother me too much. Although earlier in the newsagent on the front of a tabloid I saw a photo of 4 children 6 and under who needed to be adopted together. Somewhere on the front page it also mentioned SS would pay for a new car. My thoughts were a car would be the least of your worries if you were adopting a sibling group of 4.

B1rdonawire Tue 17-Oct-17 21:47:01

My tunnel vision must be really improving - hadn't noticed it was that time again already grin May be considerably aided by the massive Facebook cull I did recently and putting most of the "survivors" onto Restricted only

fatberg Tue 17-Oct-17 21:50:57

That's part of what bothers me twogirls - it's just all so simple when presented through tabloid eyes. It's all about the spare room or the bigger car.

fatberg Tue 17-Oct-17 21:55:20

Maybe I need to do the same - one of the worst offenders on my fb is a lovely lady who stands in the school playground spouting shite about 'adopting' a child in Africa - by which she means those sponsorship programmes where you send a few quid every month and get a letter once in a blue moon. Ofc, she doesn't know my DC are adopted so my hard stares have gone unnoticed...

constantnc Tue 17-Oct-17 21:56:58

didnt bloody give me a new car envy.....shall i do the daily mail sad face? wink....

fatberg Tue 17-Oct-17 21:58:40

Yeah, also didn't get car. Got a poke in the eye. (Repeatedly by little toddler fingers. 😀)

RandomMess Tue 17-Oct-17 22:04:20

Yeah... stuff the car what about all the support the DC and their (adoptive) parents need - grrrrr

B1rdonawire Tue 17-Oct-17 22:06:40

Genuinely pondering how much therapy chocolate I could pay for with the value of the free-adopter-car

fatberg Tue 17-Oct-17 22:10:08

The free big adoptercar. 6 seater at least.

CertainHalfDesertedStreets Tue 17-Oct-17 22:22:36

I think you will find that those four children (all under ten according to the Grauniad) are 'a ready made family'.

hmm

fatberg Tue 17-Oct-17 22:28:06

I have seen two different families of four ready-made families featured. I think Grauniad's were maybe the other.

Apparently this year you need four spare rooms. <eye roll>

constantnc Tue 17-Oct-17 22:55:07

when we needed 4 spare rooms we built an extension....did SS pay for it? did they hell.....
every year on the dot they send us our adoption allowance means tested forms biscuit...don't want to part with any more cash than they have to!

fasparent Wed 18-Oct-17 09:34:44

Need Two cars for my lot did how ever get help with for extra toilet build
just a toilet pan from B&Q with their Choice of COLOR.

2old2beamum Wed 18-Oct-17 14:28:44

Like the above, 2 room and wet room extension, no help whatsoever. Car our responsibility. As for adoption allowance DS who is deafblind cp, was stopped on his 18th birthday despite his birthday falls on Sept 1st and has 3 years left in full time education.
fasparent hope you liked their choice of colour

fasparent Wed 18-Oct-17 15:34:06

So much for new Disability legislation for children 0 too age 25.

fatberg Wed 18-Oct-17 15:56:29

Does it not make your blood boil fasparent and 2old and constant when you see the tabloids (presumably with the agency’s complicity) make it all sound so easy?

Unless you wanted a sparkly toilet I really can’t see why you wouldn’t get to choose your own...

2old2beamum Wed 18-Oct-17 20:39:55

Thankyou fasparent that was my understanding but SS said no it stopped on his 18th birthday! Strange child tax credit will not stop until he leaves school, thank goodness we have our pensions to fall back on.
Sorry for moan but it really annoys me!

constantnc Wed 18-Oct-17 21:05:36

yep our recent 8 seater bill was a bit of a sting £....

i expect ours will be in (sen) education till 21 too, but AA stops at 18, what is that all about? confused

constantnc Wed 18-Oct-17 21:07:14

go on fas..what color did they give you?

at least paying our own way i got to pick! (white lol)

thomassmuggit Wed 18-Oct-17 21:17:35

We're negotiating (haha) adoption allowance, and they tried to say it stopped at 16 here. I corrected them.

I, too, am impressed by the number of people willing to take on large, traumised, sibling groups, if only they had a spare bedroom, or hadn't previously be turned down for what they claim is a rubbish reason. Sigh.

2old2beamum Wed 18-Oct-17 21:26:11

thomassmuggit you were right to challenge I thought education continued until they were 18. A good friend has her adoption allowance until her son was 25! Obviously we chose the wrong local authority!
In our family we the saying tynso ....Thankyou Now Sod Off!

fasparent Wed 18-Oct-17 21:33:44

Give em credit twas white, bill was red never paid up.
Four week's in after celebration's, DS has acquired brain injury all support stopped (age 3 ) including after adoption, say we will get it when he starts SEN School. My locks are change too 2 old 2., awaiting
EHC assessment outcome may not get SEN school., then what !!!
Court Judge said take them back too court. just extends complications., want too get on with life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now