Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Can you adopt primarily SEN children?

(11 Posts)
TribbleWithoutACause Sun 15-Oct-17 14:22:55

So I've known many adopters, and it very obviously has its challenges.

However, I was wondering if there are those out there who have gone down the adoption route to provide care for a child with SEN.

Ted27 Sun 15-Oct-17 15:28:34

first of all I'd say that you don't adopt to provide 'care', you adopt to be a parent.

depends what you mean by SEN though. Many adopted children have special needs of one sort or another. My son happens to have autism and a mild learning difficulty. Its probably safest to assume they will have some level of additional need. If they don't, thats a bonus.

When you go through the assessment process you will be asked to consider what level of need you are prepared to come with. If you say you are prepared to accept the most complex children, you would probably be quite popular

flapjackfairy Sun 15-Oct-17 16:56:34

Yes there are some of us that have a particular interest in adopting children with all sorts of additional needs and disabilies.
I have a long term foster child and an adopted child both with v complex medical and learning needs.
Though as pointed out above the majority of children available for adoption will have additional needs of one sort or another.

TribbleWithoutACause Sun 15-Oct-17 18:48:31

Sorry I realise that 'provide care' sounds unparent like. I was thinking along the lines of additional needs that would in hand with a child with complex medical issues. So dealing with NG tubes, tracheostomies and the like in the context of 'providing care.'

TribbleWithoutACause Sun 15-Oct-17 18:53:53

I have two children who appear as though they will have additional needs (ASD). I do realise that most adoptive children will have issues as I know several who have adopted. Yet, it occurred to me, what about those children who were born with congenital abnormalities etc. The level of needs fair outstrips other children, and I did wonder if adopters set out to adopt children with those needs specifically.

TribbleWithoutACause Sun 15-Oct-17 18:54:28

Far even...

2old2beamum Sun 15-Oct-17 19:21:37

Hello, another one here who has only adopted special needs children.
Over the years we have adopted 8 with significant needs, 4 with Down Syndrome, 3 with CP and the youngest has Emanuel Syndrome. Three have sadly died but to be fair 2 had short life expectancy and one did the dirty on us after over 8 a year struggle with awful health problems.
It has been a hard road to travel but amongst the sadness far more laughter. However the letter box is now sealed and phone number changed in case any one in SS may have any bright ideas!grin

TribbleWithoutACause Sun 15-Oct-17 19:46:14

Did you specifically specify that you wanted to do that? Did they think it was strange that you wanted to go down that road 2old.

fasparent Sun 15-Oct-17 21:22:11

Like 2 Old 2be have adopted several children with special need's, fostered initially, but too attached too let them go too uncertain future
them having too cope with separation and loss , we loved them too bits, and were afraid they would regress if moved.
permanency was the only option.
All are well and most living independent now and in employment.

May be Therapeutic SEN parenting may be another option where you can offer rest bite care for children , you will receive the training and then perhaps on to Adoption if you feel the same.

2old2beamum Sun 15-Oct-17 21:33:58

To cut a long story short in my previous life I was a midwife and was assisting at a breech delivery and out popped a beautiful Downs baby. The parents decided they were unable to cope I was so upset I approached SS and he moved in with us when he was 8 months old. I am sure things would not have been so quick if they were not desperate to find him a home ...lucky us!

flapjackfairy Sun 15-Oct-17 22:11:08

We only wanted to adopt special needs children and soc services never thought that was strange !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now