Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Help sibling contact

(4 Posts)
Mule22 Tue 10-Oct-17 21:16:14

Hi everyone
Our LO has been home 5 months he’s amazing in every way
He has a elder sister that is staying in long term FC has her needs are very huge needing 14 carers a day we have always said we want them to have contact and Sw agree however we were told that direct contact with birth family will be stopping for her but never really thought much of it has she is unable to talk therefore no info could be passed on but at our review last week we were told birth family are going to continue seeing her and it’s going really well and we were also told that she has become vocal again only slightly but it is coming back
Which means anything our LO tells her could be passed on he is 5 she is 6 and we are not going to tell him he can’t tell his sister certain things as that seems wrong
Ss seem to think it is not an issue
Am I over reacting ?! To think that I should be concerned ?

Tia ! Xx

thomassmuggit Tue 10-Oct-17 21:21:01

I think you can tell your DS that some things are private, eg. which school he goes to.

TBH, if he does tell her anything, it's probably whether Operation Ouch is better than Class Dismissed. What a 5 year old wants to tell his sister is likely what colour the salty bogies are.

If you are going to be there, you can keep an eye, or ear, on what's said, and cut in. But sibling contact is so important, and shouldn't be cancelled unless you are very sure the risk outweighs the huge, many, benefits.

Mule22 Tue 10-Oct-17 21:28:16

Thanks for the reply
Yes we very much want contact to go ahead he’s already lost such a lot and we don’t want any more loss for him
We really wanted him to have seen her by now but we are on the 2nd non contact message from her FC so we are going to speak with social worker on Friday when she comes out as we are very close to AO so want to contact in place before that
X

Italiangreyhound Sat 14-Oct-17 21:15:24

I think you can and should let your son know things not to talk about. Otherwise he may say things that jeapodise contact.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now