Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Life Story Books and Later Life Letters

(6 Posts)
feelslikearockandahardplace Tue 10-Oct-17 12:55:08

Hi all. We've just received DC's life books to read through and although on the whole they are okay, we aren't sure whether the detail of why they were removed is enough. We weren't expecting a blow by blow account but it's all a bit vague and almost been glossed over.
We're not sure if our expectation was more in line with what will be in the later life letters which we're yet to receive so wanted to get other opinions before raising it with SW.

UnderTheNameOfSanders Tue 10-Oct-17 12:58:33

We thought detail was a bit vague too so got it increased, suitable for 8-10 year old.
Later life letter really only has one key piece of extra info that isn't suitable until ~16 years old.

Iggyflop Tue 10-Oct-17 19:08:34

Thought you might be interested in this article

www.blossomsocialcaretraining.co.uk/2015/04/19/advice-for-adopters-on-what-to-expect-in-a-life-story-book/

anxious123 Tue 10-Oct-17 19:16:36

I actually dread to think what my birth son's life story book looks like. Every time I asked about it pre-AO I was fobbed off and I haven't heard a peep out of them since other than asking for a photograph. His wasn't even being written by his own social worker but someone else reading from a file. I wish it were different but I doubt you'll be the only one who's not had it handled correctly

Mintylizzy9 Tue 10-Oct-17 21:09:30

I'm writing my sons now and I've written and rewritten this section loads trying to get the balance right. I've just gone for the initial reason why it all started to go wrong for BP's and avoided all the follow up that actually resulted in removal without laying the fault with either party. It was the toughest part of the book to be honest, stating facts without sounding like it was one persons fault over the others. DS will be 4 when I start to show him this so it's very basic, hoping my life story skills will have much improved by the time I need to rewrite to include more detail so following this with interest!

Rainatnight Wed 11-Oct-17 10:52:19

I've got no advice but watching with interest as we have no hope of getting ours out of the LA so will have to do it ourselves. We only have the CPR to go on and I do find it very vague. I'm not sure I'd be convinced if I was, say, DD as a teenager.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now