Talk

Advanced search

Info and personal stories

(17 Posts)
CathieHasler Wed 13-Sep-17 11:59:55

Hi there,

We're at very early stages of looking at whether to adopta child and are attending a drop-in open session with our local county council this weekend to find out more.

Would anyone recommend any good resources that go through the dryer elements of the process and also any inspiring or life-changing books you've read that charts people's own experiences ? Links to online resources, blogs etc would also be great.

All new territory.

Thanks very much smile

Cathie

OP’s posts: |
hidinginthenightgarden Wed 13-Sep-17 12:24:02

first4adoption (?) I think explains the process very well.

CathieHasler Wed 13-Sep-17 12:37:11

Ah, fab, lots of resources, thank you!

KC11 Wed 13-Sep-17 14:03:50

A friend lent me a book called How I met my Son. Rosaline or Rosalind something....possibly Howell. Good to read.

CathieHasler Wed 13-Sep-17 15:28:49

Thanks very much, I'll have a look at that. C

DaddyYannis Wed 13-Sep-17 16:01:19

The Sally Donovan books are good for a first-hand perspective of how tough it can be. If you read those and still want to adopt, then that's a good sign!

I'd also recommend you look into joining Adoption UK, as the regular magazine is quite informative.

Good luck!

CathieHasler Wed 13-Sep-17 16:18:04

Thanks, will check those out too ! C

Jellycatspyjamas Wed 13-Sep-17 20:21:00

To be honest I would read through this board too. Sally Donovan's experience is far from the norm and can really scare folk into thinking they could never do it. It's good to see how bad it can get but I found it helpful reading here and getting a more balanced view of folks experiences. If you know any families who have adopted talk to them too about the highs and lows.

bellasuewow Thu 14-Sep-17 16:27:50

I have learned a ton by riding through this board and picked up loads of book recommendations and resources also there is. A thread. About tv programmes that you may find useful good luck op

bellasuewow Thu 14-Sep-17 16:29:23

Reading not riding Jesus.
Also might add that this board is the most knowledgable and kind ones on mumsnet, there are some adoption legends on here

CathieHasler Thu 14-Sep-17 16:53:58

Thank you Bellasuewow, will do that smile. I agree everyone's very helpful and supportive.
C

Kewcumber Thu 14-Sep-17 17:31:00

I read a thousand blogs (it felt like) have you looked for blogs the read? You can read mine if you like (shameless plug) but might not be that relevant as it was an intercountry adoption along with our revisit last year.

CathieHasler Thu 14-Sep-17 18:26:33

Thanks Kewcumber, all blogs useful at this stage. Feel free to send !
Cathie

adoption2017 Thu 14-Sep-17 22:41:39

Keep your eyes open and your wits about you. It's a sad fact that you can't always trust the SW's and often they work to agendas that aren't necessarily with the children or future parents in mind.

Remember that they aren't "doing you a favour", that the (hopefully) eventual outcome is mutually beneficial to all parties. So you have the right to say "yes" or "no" to things and not be overly compliant.

Don't be put off, but get a balanced perspective. Things can go great and things can be difficult. We've just started a campaign to help one such family where things were difficult, shall we say. You can read about it if you like, here: childadoption.help/

But very best wishes on your journey.

Kewcumber Fri 15-Sep-17 08:52:01

www.simplesite.com/journeytokaz

The first section is about our return so you're better off starting with "home 2006" if you want to see the beginning of the story.

catlover1987 Tue 26-Sep-17 17:48:39

I've been following a blogger for a long time called life with Katie and pip. It's given me so much insight.

SprigofRosemary Tue 26-Sep-17 18:21:05

I second the Katie and Pip blog. Please remember that the blogs/posts/books tend to focus on the very scary and negative. Someone who adopts and is having a perfectly normal life probably isn't going to write about it! We have had our child for over a year and haven't had any unexpected surprises yet and it all feels like it runs smoothly. That means I don't post on the boards much! I have three friends who have adopted and nobody is having a terrible time of it. I feel it is important to state this as I was terrified when adopting as i only ever read the negatives and I swore that I would post a balanced view to help people. Of course you must read the negatives as they do happen! You need to be as prepared as you can for the good and the bad.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in