Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

10 years and counting

(8 Posts)
UnderTheNameOfSanders Wed 24-May-17 09:36:13

A good news thread smile

10 years ago we were in the first days of placement with our 2 DDs.

DD1 has recently passed her driving test first time despite having dyspraxia, and is currently doing her final college assignments before starting an apprenticeship in August. The last couple of years have been quite difficult with he,r but she and we are in a so much better place now than 12 months ago. I don't think the next 6 months will be easy either but fingers crossed.

DD2 is now in y7 and we have just had her first secondary parents evening. She struggles with academics but every single teacher said how hard she tried and how well she contributed in class. Hearing that directly will have done wonders for her self esteem and will help keep her motivated when things get tough.

PoppyStellar Wed 24-May-17 10:25:27

That's really lovely to hear. I like a good news thread smile

Poudrenez Wed 24-May-17 12:22:19

Thanks OP! We're about to adopt a six year old. It's nice to hear good news about adopting, especially an 'older' child.

KallyBox Wed 24-May-17 18:23:33

Fantastic news OP. I bet you're just bursting with pride! Well done to them and to you.

UnderTheNameOfSanders Wed 24-May-17 18:41:33

We are very proud of what they have achieved, especially DD1 who really had very poor care for her first six years and a very late diagnosis of dyspraxia (year 11) which explained a lot of things.

Poudrenez Good luck with your 6yo, there are advantages to an older child and it certainly worked well for us.

HaveAWeeNap Sat 27-May-17 20:12:11

Great news, lovely to hear.

Italiangreyhound Mon 29-May-17 20:05:41

Great to hear Sanders.

Kewcumber Mon 29-May-17 22:40:36

We are 10 year in too. Lots of things change in 10 years don't they.

My DS went away for a weeks residential school trip last week and I missed him so much, there were times I doubted we would ever get to the stage of residential school trips!

Not looking forward to secondary in Sept... but seems like a very good SEN dept so fingers crossed.

Lovely to hear thigns are stable and in a good way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now