Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Books on adoption for extended family

(6 Posts)
SuburbanCrofter Sun 02-Apr-17 10:25:39

Sorry if this has been asked before, but can anyone recommend a book for extended families on adoption? My Dsis is adopting soon, and was given 'Related by Adoption' for extended family, but she says she's read it and its not massively helpful. Can anyone recommend another book? I have DC so it would be useful to have a book tailored towards them as well.

ac73 Sun 02-Apr-17 16:26:19

Our families read, 'No matter what' by Sally Donovan which helped them and us a lot.

SuburbanCrofter Sun 02-Apr-17 18:37:59

Thank you ac73 I will check it out!

B1rdonawire Mon 03-Apr-17 10:23:24

Therapeutic parenting in a nutshell - Sarah Naish

Good, fairly succinct, guide to what needs to be done differently and why. Otherwise, yes, Sally Donovan all the way for what life might be really like (book or blog).

I thought Related by Adoption was very weak too!

gabsdot Mon 03-Apr-17 12:02:13

I gave my neices and nephews "What do we think about adoption". It's published by BAAF.

SuburbanCrofter Mon 03-Apr-17 16:58:55

Thank you for all your suggestions. Have ordered Sally Donovan, I also went ahead and ordered Related by Adoption - I got a second hand copy cheap so even if I don't get much out of it, I won't have spent much money... I'll also take a look at What Do We Think About Adoption. The DC have been quite involved so far - met social worker etc. They're looking forward to meeting their new cousin, although I've told them it'll be a while whilst he settles in smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now