Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Scarey stuff

(10 Posts)
Chicklette Thu 16-Mar-17 22:43:25

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39274809

Poor kids.What could possibly go wrong.....

GingerAndTheBiscuits Thu 16-Mar-17 22:49:09

I would assume US adoption procedures are as stringent as our own. They're not just going to be handed over

Italiangreyhound Thu 16-Mar-17 22:50:42

I would hope that the system for vetting adopters was rigorous, as it is here in the UK.

Italiangreyhound Fri 17-Mar-17 02:32:58

I always wonder how cross postings use suck similar language! Cross posted with you Ginger.

lavenderandrose Fri 17-Mar-17 18:41:27

Ginger

They aren't.

luckylucky24 Fri 17-Mar-17 20:15:19

Actually in the US the adoption process is somewhat of a joke. They have so many children to place that as long as you are not a criminal you can have a child. You can adopt a child older than existing children in the family, you can adopt a child of any race unlike here and can be approved for adopting whilst still TTC or undergoing fertility treatment. There are children being readopted unofficially "Black market style" because the matching process is not thought through etc.

They do not really think long term in the US IMO.
Disclaimer This info was passed on by fellow adopters in the US and so may be inaccurate but gives an idea of how lax they may be over the pond.

lavenderandrose Fri 17-Mar-17 20:44:34

It's not so much that they are lax, but they have different attitudes to adopting and adopters.

Italiangreyhound Fri 17-Mar-17 21:05:01

Do they have more children awaiting adoption proportionate to the larger population, or proportionate to the number of adopters? Or does the open adopter system with pregnant women being able to choose adopters for their baby (if that is true) mean there are fewer adoptive parents for cases of neglected or abused kids?

lavenderandrose Fri 17-Mar-17 21:07:42

Largely the latter, italian

gabsdot Fri 17-Mar-17 21:30:32

I heard a US adoption expert say that no one in the states fails a homestudy. They just go to another agency. It just depends on how much you can pay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now