Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Minor moan: DBS checks for adoptees

(13 Posts)
UnderTheNameOfSanders Thu 16-Mar-17 14:03:50

My DD needs a DBS check for the job she has after she leaves college.

Even though she was adopted before age 10 (age of criminal responsibility) she needs to put all her previous names down on the form, so I was abruptly informed by their helpline .

So I think this means her employer effectively gets to see this as they will see previous surnames.

To add slight insult to injury, the DBS people have a 'sensitive issues department', but they don't consider being adopted as sensitive at it only deals with transgender people. (And they are very abrupt with their emails too!)

conserveisposhforjam Thu 16-Mar-17 15:12:17

I'd say bollocks to that and just put current name tbh. I might not even have shared birth name with dd by that age so I'd be fucked if I'd do it because someone hadn't bothered to think their policies through.

And I say that as someone who has 'SAFEGUARDING' written right through me like a stick of rock.

tldr Thu 16-Mar-17 16:20:12

I'm applying for first passports - do I have to declare it there also? I mean there's a space for all previous names, but... Same thing. I don't want the woman at the check and send counter in the post office knowing something my DC don't know...

bostonkremekrazy Thu 16-Mar-17 16:41:53

Does she have a new birth certificate? With her current name on from her adoption?
If yes only put that one name....the old birth certificate has gone, and with it her old name surely?

tldr Thu 16-Mar-17 16:44:16

Yes, the only birth cert I'll be sending has new name. But there's something about sending 'adoption cert' too.

Tbh, I read it and stopped because I was stuck!

(Sorry for hijacking sanders)

UnderTheNameOfSanders Thu 16-Mar-17 17:30:10

Good news.
I rang them back for a second opinion and got a much more helpful person who bothered to look up the answer.
Adopted pre age 10 don't need to put names.
Adopted post age 10 do as 10 is age of criminal responsibility.

(I can't remember what the rule is for passports)

tldr Thu 16-Mar-17 19:14:58

Oh that is good news! Well done!

I tried google re passports and found nothing useful except an advice line, so I'll try that.

bostonkremekrazy Fri 17-Mar-17 18:34:24

On our kids passports we sent only their new birth certificates. No other info.

Italiangreyhound Fri 17-Mar-17 21:11:10

*good news. Good to know.

MooseyMouse Sun 19-Mar-17 05:35:30

Just adding this in case anyone else reads it. You can contact the DBS Sensitive Cases team.

Basically you declare only your current name to the agency requesting the DBS, contact the sensitive cases team who then add all previous details, you're checked in all your names, the certificate is issued with only your current name on.

SuffolkingGrand Sun 19-Mar-17 07:44:52

Just as an aside the employees don't get the see the info you put on the form unless there's something that it's considered necessary for then to see. For example I have to put maiden and married names but the final certificate is only issued in current name.

TeenAndTween Sun 19-Mar-17 12:17:06

Moosey The DBC sensitive cases team weren't any help. They said they only dealt with trans gender ...

Suffolking It was unclear to me how much the person doing the admin before the application gets to see.

Kr1stina Tue 21-Mar-17 14:30:44

My DD had to do this last year. She took her passport for photo ID instead of her adoption certificate . Even then, the admin person asked all sorts of random questions about her place of birth, which is outside the UK. Fortunately DD is prepared with a standard answer for this but it's still stressful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now