Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Coming up to panel

(23 Posts)
Laura25o6 Mon 13-Mar-17 18:07:37

Hi all, so we have our Panel date for April. Feeling so nervous and excited at the same time. How did you all feel on the day that changed your lives.

itsbeenaverylongweek Mon 13-Mar-17 19:04:30

Hi Laura is it approval panel or matching panel you're going to?

Laura25o6 Mon 13-Mar-17 19:19:48

Thought there was only 1. 😞 approval then I'm guessing

Laura25o6 Mon 13-Mar-17 19:22:23

As far as I'm aware there's this panel in April then we will be in stage 2, then matching, bridging etc

luckylucky24 Mon 13-Mar-17 20:32:31

Hi Laura, when you have been matched you go back to panel for it to be approved. We were nervous but found it to be okay on the day.

Laura25o6 Mon 13-Mar-17 21:04:57

We haven't been matched yet. As far as we are aware this panel is to be approved but I only thought there was one but seems there's more lol

itsbeenaverylongweek Mon 13-Mar-17 21:21:27

For approval panel we were very nervous. The SWs said, that having had a review, they wouldn't take us to panel unless they thought we'd go through okay but there was still an element of doubt (especially as we'd had to stop our application for a few years due to work troubles). It was utter relief when we got the phone call later on to say they were 100% recommending us. Good luck for yours.

Poudrenez Wed 15-Mar-17 12:25:38

We were cacking ourselves before our panel, but they were all really kind at it ended up being a rather pleasant experience. Our social worker told us that's quite typical. They weren't particularly nice to her though. they overrode some of her more restrictive recommendations on the PAR (such as race). Our SW was the one put on the spot, and I felt a bit for her tbh. There were a couple of things that they wanted to clear up, but they weren't surprises. Remember, no adopter is perfect. But the main thing is, to answer your question OP, they were lovely to us. So don't dread it! And we found out that we were approved, there and then.

Laura25o6 Wed 15-Mar-17 13:02:24

OP what does this mean?

UnderTheNameOfSanders Wed 15-Mar-17 15:45:15

OP = Original Post(er)

monkeytoad35 Wed 15-Mar-17 16:39:19

I found the approval panel nerve-wracking and the matching panel was a breeze. Good luck flowers

LadyandTramp Wed 15-Mar-17 16:52:57

Very nervous but it was also an enjoyable experience. The panel were lovely and it was a good feeling when they invited us back into the room and said yes.

We weren't elated though, just relieved that we'd overcome that hurdle, but knowing that this was really only the first in our quest to adopt a child. I remember feeling a bit flat on the journey home.

The matching panel was a much more emotional occasion, I cried and so did two of the panel! smile

Good luck!

tldr Wed 15-Mar-17 17:14:45

I was so relieved I cried all the way home.

If this is your approval panel, assuming they say yes, then your agency will do whatever they do to match you with a child. Once you all agree a match there'll be another panel so that they can approve the match. That's matching panel. (And once you're there you can expect your LO home imminently.)

user1471467667 Wed 15-Mar-17 18:11:48

Im confused, you say you will be in stage 2 after this panel, then it can't be approval panel. Maybe you should ask your social worker to go through the stages with you.

Laura25o6 Wed 15-Mar-17 18:24:08

Hi as far as we are aware this approval panel is the end of stage one. We get t given like a flow chart of where you in at every part of the stages. And we are currently in stage 1. Have been for sometime due to being forgotten until November 2016.

LadyandTramp Wed 15-Mar-17 18:35:28

Ah ok. It's not a panel. It's just a decision made by your SW and their manager as to whether they will progress you to Stage 2.

UnderTheNameOfSanders Wed 15-Mar-17 18:47:52

Just to clarify
- are you in England or elsewhere?
- have all the checks been done for you yet, such as references, previously lived locations, DBS etc?
- have you done the homestudy bit where the SW comes to talk to you about all aspect of your lives for an hour or 3 every week or fortnight
- have you seen the PAR yet / do you know it is being worked on by the SW

Laura25o6 Wed 15-Mar-17 18:54:57

Hi yes all the above has been completed. We have our last meeting tomorrow evening and that's a friends and family one. We had 8 weeks worth of Thursday meetings in total. All check etc came back months ago. Last we heard they was still waiting on our NSPCA one to come back.

Laura25o6 Wed 15-Mar-17 18:56:06

Sorry to sound thick but rim not up to terms with these shorthand words. What is PAR please?

Laura25o6 Wed 15-Mar-17 18:59:14

SW has said it is approval panel. After that we are doing matching bridging etc. Approval to become parents

CantThinkOfAUserNameThatILike Wed 15-Mar-17 19:05:00

Wishing you all the luck with starting stage 2. I'm just about to start stage 1shock

Par= Prospective adopters report

UnderTheNameOfSanders Wed 15-Mar-17 19:05:41

I think its called a PAR these days (Parental/Potential Adoption/Adopter Report?). When we did it it was the Form E or F.

It is basically the report the SW presents to panel with everything they've found out about you during the homestudy that is used as a basis for approval (or not). It is also then used by children's SWs to decide whether you could go on the short list of potential adopters for the child they are responsible for.

After Approval Panel you can then be considered for children awaiting placement. This waiting period is horrible because you can't really actively do anything. (We waited about 15 months). But hopefully you are top of the list for a particular child/children, the SW visits you, you meet FC, Medical person etc. Then if all good you go to Matching Panel after which you can meet your new child/ren, introductions then moving in.

Laura25o6 Wed 15-Mar-17 19:12:31

Thank you for that. That is exactly what our date in April is for. The medical adviser will be there plus others. Been told we'll be there an hour max , they'll give us an answer then wait a further 10 days for someone else to confirm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now