Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Is there a way we can do stage 2?

(6 Posts)
rainbowbreeze123 Fri 10-Mar-17 15:34:46

So we're inbetween stages 1 and 2, we decided to take a break as my partner started a new job. We were getting ready to proceed and then I lost my job - nightmare !
The plan was for me to get a part time job so we could fit the meetings round work but I havent been able to find anything - I did get a temp part time job but it was in the evenings including wknds in a nearby city centre so I tried it, didnt feel safe getting home and I wouldnt have seen my boyfriend so decided it wouldnt work.
Plus we looked into adoption pay rights and found out I likely wouldnt get anything..

I have accepted a full time job which starts soon and I really like the sound of, partly because its 5 mins from home so will be great for when we do eventually have kids

I just dont see how we can proceed now and fear we will have to take a break and start again which I really didnt want to do. Weve got the social worker coming round next week to discuss but I dont see how it can happen.. I cant start a new job and then tell them I need time off for 3 hour meetings !

Any suggestions? Do you think we'll just have to wait and start again?
It all seems so unfair after 6 years of trying for our own baby, starting the process and now this sad

luckylucky24 Fri 10-Mar-17 19:31:24

Would you not be able to use annual leave?
My DH had to do this and although not ideal it was better than not doing it at all.

rainbowbreeze123 Sat 11-Mar-17 00:21:56

That's the only way I can think of if my new company allows me to book leave during probation, might look a bit suss though the odd half day here and there..

tinks269 Sat 11-Mar-17 08:38:46

Our social worker fit our meetings in around us. Havinh said that we both worked in education so could leave at the end of school and start our meetings at 4. Is there a way you could finish early by working through your lunch or getting in early?
I would add that if you both struggle to make meetings after work how will you fit a child in? I ask this as something to think about. I am not criticising merely giving you something to consider.
Good luck with your meeting

user1489315459 Sun 12-Mar-17 10:53:16

Our social worker was inflexible and wanted weekday meetings. We made contact with others adopting through the preparation courses and found out that other social workers were interviewing them in the evenings and on weekends. If we had known that then we would have asked for a different social worker from the start.
So even if you have to repeat Stage 1, you might be able to avoid taking annual leave if you can get the right SW.

Laura25o6 Mon 13-Mar-17 18:14:39

Our social worker was kinda flexible with my husband and I but did leave work 3 hours earlier than normal due to the times. Luckily our company is the same and we get all appointments for adoption paid for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now