Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

How long to wait for new Birth Certs?

(10 Posts)
user1474699476 Tue 28-Feb-17 14:55:13

We recently had our adoption order granted for sibling pair on 25th January and received a copy of the order on 10th Feb. I just wondered how long you have waited to receive the new short Birth Cert as we have quite a tight deadline to get passports for a family wedding coming up in May and are worried that we won't get the docs in time. I know we can fasttrack the long BC and passport if we need to but feel like waiting for the initial copy is out of our control and have no idea how long this can take! 😩

UnderTheNameOfSanders Tue 28-Feb-17 15:15:13

9 years ago now, but we rang them up and they did the long certificates at the same time as the short ones.

Use the check and send at the post office for passports - we got ours back within 2 weeks I think (though various things to do with passports have been changed since).

UnderTheNameOfSanders Tue 28-Feb-17 15:15:58

Oh, congratulations flowers

flapjackfairy Tue 28-Feb-17 15:17:31

My paperwork says processing time 4 weeks from date registry office receive ao so should be any time now.
You can get long certificate in a couple of days once you have short one .

MintyLizzy9 Wed 08-Mar-17 22:23:41

The short form birth Cert arrived about 2-3 weeks after AO, included with it is a reference number and a phone number to order the long form adoption Cert that you will need for the passport application. It's about £14 from memory but when ordering spell it out to them that it is an adoption Cert as they will charge you the standard price but give you the the fast service. apparently this applies forever, so always on the 3 day (I think) service rather than the standard couple of weeks but you only pay the standard price.

I didn't use check and send for passport as forms were very straightforward and in my experience no one ever bloomin knows about adoption stuff anyway! DS passport arrived within a fortnight of applying. Getting Certs and passports were the most straight forward and quickest part of the entire adoption process!

MintyLizzy9 Wed 08-Mar-17 22:26:02

Oh yes and I applied for passport during peak times and it was still under two weeks - June/July

user1474699476 Thu 09-Mar-17 09:55:35

Thanks all for your replies. Fingers crossed we won't have too much longer to wait! 🤞🏼

Laura25o6 Mon 13-Mar-17 18:32:15

Congratulations 😀

JDL13 Mon 13-Mar-17 21:08:59

Hi
I'm sure you will get it sorted in time. For us lt's 3 years ago but we got the short one in 3 weeks - Took just 4 days after that to get the long one. We sent that off using the post office service and got the passport in 5 days.. Fingers crossed for you :-)

fasparent Mon 13-Mar-17 21:10:06

All Adoption certificates are processed at Southport, if you phone them with short application number, court reference no, etc they will process them over the phone,
they are quite helpful and approachable. we got both short and long at the same time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now