Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Update on our step parent adoption

(14 Posts)
Anothernamesake Tue 07-Feb-17 12:14:12

We went to court this morning. And the judge passed the order. We just have to wait for the 21 days to appeal to go by but the judge advised birth father that he would be foolish to try.

He refused to put in a statement. He didn't consent or oppose. The judge dispensed with his consent and wrote the order and refused to acknowledge his silliness over the dc surnames and opted to give them our surname, which is obviously what we wanted.

We really couldn't be happier. Waiting for a celebration hearing date now. Thank you to everyone who was supportive and informative. You were a great help to me.

flapjackfairy Tue 07-Feb-17 12:24:01

Wonderful news ! Never doubted it but it is so stressful.
Congratulations to you all xxx

Anothernamesake Tue 07-Feb-17 13:18:24

Thank you so much. Its just a huge sense of relief x

Kr1stina Tue 07-Feb-17 14:21:21

Oh that's great. Well done for holding your nerve on his control issue and well done the court for putting the kids first.

Hope that you can now put all that legal stuff behind you and just get on with being a family, like you have been for years. Only difference is that now you have the piece of paper and the legal security for the children .

Smal celebration tonight ? 🍷🥂🍻🍹🍸

And for the kids ? 🍦🍰🍿🍩🍧

Anothernamesake Tue 07-Feb-17 14:45:48

Oh absolutely. Utter junk for dinner grin

PoppyStellar Tue 07-Feb-17 14:48:07

Read your previous thread, really glad to hear all went well. Delighted for you all smile

girlelephant Tue 07-Feb-17 14:49:02

Congratulations!

Anothernamesake Tue 07-Feb-17 14:52:20

Thank you both!

Somerville Tue 07-Feb-17 14:53:27

I think I saw your other thread. Great news!

We're thinking about pursuing step-parent adoption and there is so little current information out there, isn't there? Thanks for updating.

Anothernamesake Tue 07-Feb-17 15:08:22

Thank you Somerville. Yes, it's crazy how little info there is. You'd think it would be much swifter than your standard 2 people adopting a child scenario but ours has been really tough. If you need to talk about anything or have questions, just ask. I'm not an expert by any stretch but I'll try.

Somerville Wed 08-Feb-17 09:30:48

Oh thanks, thats really kind. smile

Our situation is somewhat different than yours, in that my children's (wonderful) father has died. I remarried recently and my kids have made it very clear that if anything happens to me (which they have a lot of worries about) they want to stay with DH. Which we can achieve by me giving him PR/ being clear of intentions in my will and the like, but when we've talked this over with the children they would like him to adopt them. We need to put a lot of thought into that, but it's hard to when there is so little information out there.

Anothernamesake Wed 08-Feb-17 10:29:22

Oh, I am sorry for their loss and yours flowers Very different to my situation as you say but being clear in their wishes is the most important thing.

Have you contacted the local authority? That was our first step to get the information that we wanted. We had a telephone conversation explaining the situation then a duty social worker came to our house and explained all the options and the process.

flapjackfairy Wed 08-Feb-17 15:25:55

Sorry if i am teaching you to suck eggs but there us some info on the gov.uk website if you put in step parent adoption

crispandcheesesandwichplease Wed 08-Feb-17 17:47:25

Yeah! Good for you!

So glad you got what you and your children needed Another, I'm chuffed to bits for you, well done for sticking it out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now