Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

Pupil premium question

(11 Posts)
Highlander456 Wed 01-Feb-17 20:34:47

Have any of you had ppi for you lo while at nursery? If so just wondered what the nursery spent the money on?
Thanks x

donquixotedelamancha Wed 01-Feb-17 22:44:46

"Have any of you had ppi for you lo while at nursery?" I didn't even know you could get payment protection insurance on children :-)

My DD gets it. I asked and they mumbled something about potentially putting on extra maths lessons, but I've left it because they've broken their restrictions on hours and top up fees for us (I see the PP as subbing that) and because she doesn't need anything specific.

It's up to the nursery to claim. Its only £302.10 per year and it doesn't seem like anyone checks how nurserys spend it as long as they assign it to something on the paperwork.

Londonisburning Wed 01-Feb-17 22:48:41

Our nursery does extra activities for kids that have been there slightly longer, dance classes etc. I'm hoping it will be able to be used for that when we get it.

fasparent Thu 02-Feb-17 05:47:30

Ours uses for weekly OT's ., Senco training, 1 too 1., all as and when required as its not a lot of money and will not go very far., if child is on a EP
they can source for extra funding and support.
Also will use PP+ for extra nursary hours.
Interesting additional information many may not know., the Care Element of DLA dependant on disability can be applied for from the age of 3 month's

luckylucky24 Thu 02-Feb-17 08:08:35

I was told it was PP or free hours not both.

Highlander456 Thu 02-Feb-17 08:10:36

Ppi lol confused multi tasking eh! My lo isv3 and I'm going to see about pp paying her her food at nursery. It costs me on average £50 per month as they changed the hours so now I have to pay this for 2 days food. He doesn't even eat it half the time and I don't want to give him packed lunch as all the children have cooked lunches so he likes "eating" with them.

Noone has ever claimed pp for a child at his nursery!!!

Londonisburning Thu 02-Feb-17 08:18:11

No, it's PP and free hours.

www.gov.uk/government/news/extra-funding-to-prepare-for-the-early-years-pupil-premium

Londonisburning Thu 02-Feb-17 08:19:59

I can't see the argument for using PP for food. Attachment training for staff. Activities for the child to build self esteem, yes. But unless you're on the breadline, food is family budget.

donquixotedelamancha Thu 02-Feb-17 08:24:52

"I was told it was PP or free hours not both." Yeah, as London says, that's bobbins. Our kids get the free hours from 2 yo, instead of 3 and get EYPP from 3yo.

Kaywal Thu 02-Feb-17 17:45:49

I work at a nursery and EYPP is definitely as well as the free hours. The nursery have to be able to show what they have spent the money on that is different or additional to he regular provision (I.e they can't use it buy pens and paper for drawing). They also have to be able to explain what impact he spending had on the individual child - this is monitored by ofsted during inspections

A couple of examples of things we have spent it on : training for staff, extra hours for children to attend more sessions, specific resources that support individual children, funding children to attend trips etc

MintyLizzy9 Wed 22-Feb-17 05:43:21

DS will get it at the start of term following Easter. Ive already spoken to nursery who said they will wait until nearer the time and see if any other PP kids need help with speech (DS does) and they will club together the PP and get a therapist in for a few sessions, failing that they will put it towards some of the additional hours I currently pay extra for.

I see where you're coming from re food, my DS only really eats toast at nursery but the sitting to eat with his peers is/has been a really important social aspect for him and as a result he has actually tried a few nibbles of food here and there ( major food issues) so in the right circumstances I could see the argument for using the PP for meals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now