Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

BMI

(17 Posts)
Puffedsleevedress Wed 11-Jan-17 17:45:26

I know there have been previous threads about this (and I promise I have looked at them!) but am looking for any more/more recent info. Do you know if there is an actual BMI restriction or does it vary from authority to authority? Mine is 33.4 and I have a high waist measurement too, though I am tall. I'm just wondering if this will be held against me by the medical advisor. I have no health issues at all, and am very active though my blood pressure is at the high end of normal ( though the doctor thinks this is a bit of white coat syndrome). I've already lost a couple of stone and am committed to losing more but it's very slow going. I'm starting to get myself into a real panic this might stop us being approved.

luckylucky24 Wed 11-Jan-17 18:37:11

Friends we met through the process had it noted in the medical reports that they were overweight but it hasn't affected their prospects of adoption.

SuzanneL60 Wed 11-Jan-17 19:39:42

Its about time they stopped using BMI- its highly subjective if not innacurate. I assess patients who have BMIs in the 40's who are fitter than the drs operating on them! And 33 is NOT that bad!

Puffedsleevedress Wed 11-Jan-17 19:49:21

Thanks to both of you for replying. This makes me feel a bit better!
Suzanne - I was a doctor last week for something unrelated (not my usual GP) and she also said something along the lines of me not being very overweight (in general terms rather than related to adoption) and I was really surprised by this. I think I'm huge and hate myself for it but I am losing so at least I'm going on the right direction. Perhaps the doctor thought I looked lighter than I actually am!
My best friend (male) has a BMI of 30 but he's solid muscle and very athletic so I do understand what you're saying. I just hope the medical advisor sees it the same way.

SuzanneL60 Wed 11-Jan-17 20:42:19

Good luck..

Puffedsleevedress Wed 11-Jan-17 20:48:29

Thank you smile

sarahlux Wed 11-Jan-17 21:07:36

My bmi was really high when we adopted. It has come down now but is still classed as obese.

It was noted in our PAR however it didn't stop us from having a child placed.
Good luck.

Puffedsleevedress Wed 11-Jan-17 21:15:32

Thank you Sarah, really pleased it worked out for you smile

sweetchilli77 Wed 11-Jan-17 22:16:55

My BMI was high, my authority wanted it to be under 40 before panel, which i did.
At panel they did not directly ask about my weight loss however asked what lifestyle changes i had made, so went on about weight loss and why etc, they where very happy with that.

My baby is fast asleep in the next room

Good luck

CrazyCatLaydee123 Wed 11-Jan-17 22:34:59

We were told under 30 BMI, although DH still has a BMI of 33 and our DCs moved in today! He can feel it dropping off already though just from intros, and after his first time at a soft play centre he realised how much I was right about the fact that he should have been going to the gym!

Cabawill Thu 12-Jan-17 09:26:05

My BMI was very high and I was really taken to task about it at panel by the Doctor. I do understand why they do though. Luckily I haven't had any illnesses or effects from being overweight and think I'm lucky in inheriting the constitution of an ox.

We were matched with two "spirited" children and in fact I dropped weight in the first months just running around after them!

Good luck

Puffedsleevedress Thu 12-Jan-17 12:08:22

Thank you all so much.
Crazycat - congratulations! I hope your first night went well.....? I've never been to a soft play centre but I've just signed up for a boot camp so whenever it's getting touch I'll imagine myself in a ball pit trying to chase after a little one!

Cabawill - I am expecting a hard time, and like you, I understand why. It would be lovely to think that I'll also lose weight running around after a child - I'm sure I'll enjoy that more than bootcamp and the obnoxious trainer who tells us to move our 'Lardy arses'.......

tldr Thu 12-Jan-17 19:38:47

I did not lose weight running around after little ones, I gained a shit ton by being pinned under toddlers needing cuddles and by shovelling chocolate in my face for a quick energy fix and only walking at toddler speed over toddler distances for a long time. I really wish I had taken it more seriously before the DC were placed so really, really do do what you can now. (Though, honestly, sustainable changes like a hoard of quick/cheap/easy low calorie meal plans are probably more useful than boot camp that you'd likely not be able to get to.)

However, my SW wanted me to show willing, so I did, she wrote in my report that I was 'taking positive steps' and panel never mentioned it.

BMI was well into the 40s.

Good luck!

toomanymincepies Thu 12-Jan-17 21:02:16

Were you weighed at the doctors at/near your heaviest Puffedsleevedress ? I deliberately was weighed when I first started trying to lose weight so that when it came to my medical, they would see the improvement (which worked because the doctor commented on the improvement and made a note of it on the form!)
So long as you can show you're working towards a healthier lifestyle and have acknowledged it, you should be okay. Just a heads up though, when I had mine they said a BMI over 30 meant you had to then have waist measurements taken too.
Good luck and keep up with the boot camp (I'm having to restart after Christmas indulgence - hence the current name!)

Italiangreyhound Thu 12-Jan-17 22:01:29

I had a BMI that was high, classed as obese. we talked about what I could do to lose weight and I showed willing. We adopted a three year old boy and I did not lose any weight.

Please don't expect to lose any through the process.

Keep making small sustainable changes.

I heard a good quote the other day, "You can't out run a bad diet!"

OP please note I am talking to myself now!

Good luck. smile

Themoleandcrew Fri 13-Jan-17 17:28:39

My bmi is well into the 30s. It was noted at the medical but they also noted that my cholesterol, blood pressure etc were normal so it wasn't mentioned. We have adopted three times and I'm fatter every time.

dimples76 Fri 13-Jan-17 20:57:03

My BMI was 37 when I was approved. Rather strangely it was never mentioned by anyone. When I had the medical my GP asked if I had any health concerns and I said I felt fit and well but I was worried that my weight might be a concern to others - she was lovely and said she would take it up with panel if it stopped me adopting so I think she wrote a rather positive medical which emphasised how active I was.

I think it's a great idea to think about your future child when doing boot camp. I went on a real fitness drive between approval and placement and whenever I was flagging I thought of my future son. I lost quite a lot of weight during that period and kept it off during adoption leave. However, when I went back to work I put on weight again - I was so tired I kept eating to compensate. Now though I have adjusted to being a working parent and I have my own little personal trainer. I am following HIIT routines on YouTube. He tends to potter around occasionally joining in and often calling out instructions - faster, Mummy, faster!

Best of luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now